Association with Anita Sarkeesian is PR poison.

I discovered this today, to my disgust, and felt the need to relay some information in case Obsidian is considering further association with the feminist known as Anita Sarkeesian.

1385925525397.jpg

It should be noted, as it is infinitely forgotten by her supporters (and by forgotten I mean completely ignored even after repeatedly telling them), that gamers have no qualm about people talking about video games in a critical manner.

The issue gamers take with sarkessian is her method. Lying, ignoring context and usually outright editing it out. Using lets play footage and not citing it, behaving as if it is her own. Troll baiting and only showing troll comments (which by the way are all the "threats" she receives) instead of the thought out responses to her claims, many times she has been accused of actively censoring non troll comments so she can further feign the victimhood rather than cultivate an actual point.

For at least half of the games she has "reviewed" it was demonstrated she likely never even played them given how wrong she got basic story elements and even more wrong on the detailed stuff. (I suggest a Destructoid article that critiques the interview she gave with them, it looks at several things she says about specific games during the interview)

Ill state it the same way I have any time ive discussed that horrible excuse for a femenist. If feminists want to discuss the lack of female protagonists no one is going to complain, thats a valid issue given the female market share of the industry, they can do so in a reasonable manner that doesnt insult the majority of the communty by comparing them all to the sterotype of the xbox live 12 year old and all just hate women (which is why gamers complain)

What does it have to do with PE? 

a) it's JS and his personal stuff

b) it's old news

What does it matter and why would you even bring it up? What do you intend to "do about it"? Mind you, I did not care for the project in question, but I fail to see how it's relevant here and now.

• Like 6

======================================
http://janpospisil.daportfolio.com/ - my portfolio
http://janpospisil.blogspot.cz/ - my blog

1.) It's Josh's personal stuff. Of course Josh is a face of Obsidian, but it's still his personal choice to back her. 

2.) It's old news.

3.) Regarding this:

Ill state it the same way I have any time ive discussed that horrible excuse for a femenist. If feminists want to discuss the lack of female protagonists no one is going to complain, thats a valid issue given the female market share of the industry, they can do so in a reasonable manner that doesnt insult the majority of the communty by comparing them all to the sterotype of the xbox live 12 year old and all just hate women (which is why gamers complain)

Just watch her videos. They are neither insulting, nor blatantly wrong. To be quite honest, I think her analysis is sometimes spot on, especially the last video (Ms Male Character trope) was really cleverly done. While she may have miscommunicated things and did not do everything 100% properly (for the record, no one does, if the internet and certain communities decide to dislike something, they will inevitably find something), she's still not what you're portraying her to be. She's not some sort of evil, man-hating devilspawn.

(Also, market share is absolutely irrelevant to this discussion)

4.)

It should be noted, as it is infinitely forgotten by her supporters (and by forgotten I mean completely ignored even after repeatedly telling them), that gamers have no qualm about people talking about video games in a critical manner.

Yeah, right.

5.) So what, nobody cares.

6.) The Destructoid article is missing some points. But it's symptomatic for this debate or for any debate that questions things, really. (Also the article suffers from various logical fallacies)

Edited by SophosTheWise
  • Like 5

Elan_song.gif

Spam...

:closed:

• Like 6

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein