The story after your death

Everytime I play an RPG, I always wonder how the story would turn out if my character dies.  I doubt this is something that will happen for this game, but I just wanted to know what people thought of this.

After you finish your first playthrough (so the story isn't ruined for you in the first playthrough), you unlock a story of what happens when you die.  I understand that this would only be meaningful on the first death of the playthrough, then you'd be skipping it for the rest of the game, but it's still something interesting for me.  When you die, there would be a narrative or scene or whatever describing what happens in the future following your death.  For example, in BG 1, Sarevok wouldn't have you to take him down, so he becomes the most powerful Bhaalspawn (of course there would be more detail than that).

Is it just me, or would you like to see something like this someday in a game?

Honestly, while I can see that could be done in an interesting way, I think that I would prefer not to have such a thing and leave it up to the imagination if I do wonder about what would've happened had they died. Even the skeletalising hand animation in Baldur's Gate can get annoying if the Bhaalspawn ends up dying in a fight several times in a row, and that's not a very long animation. Sure, you could skip it, but I'd rather not have it at all.

Now, for a game mode where you can't reload and any time you die it is the end, there I might like to see something like that.

knightofchaoss.jpg

It might be interesting to be able to play a game where you pick up the thread of the story after the hero has died. But that would potentially add a lot of complexity to the plot sequence, so I don't know that it would be worth the investment required. (Another option would be to write a sequel where you play one of the children of your previous hero.)

As for your companions, well a nice touch would be to have a little graveyard where you could bury your fallen friend, hold a little funeral ceremony, and write the epitaph for their gravestone.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Honestly, while I can see that could be done in an interesting way, I think that I would prefer not to have such a thing and leave it up to the imagination if I do wonder about what would've happened had they died. Even the skeletalising hand animation in Baldur's Gate can get annoying if the Bhaalspawn ends up dying in a fight several times in a row, and that's not a very long animation. Sure, you could skip it, but I'd rather not have it at all.

Now, for a game mode where you can't reload and any time you die it is the end, there I might like to see something like that.

That kind of problem could easily be solved by an option "disable death animation/scene" or something like that.  Yeah, it's nice to leave it up to the imagination, but it's also nice to see professional writers come up with a story about it (otherwise, why would we buy books, we could just imagine our own stories instead).