Torment Sequel Q&A with Brian Fargo

adamsorkin

How would you rate the ruleset compared to D&D?

Also does the Core Book discuss magic, for example are there large numbers of spells and do they get progressively more powerful as they advance in levels like D&D

I'm not nearly far enough in to reading through the book to make a final judgement, not to mention, that I need to actually play the game first.  There really aren't "spells" per se, everything is technology, though some may refer to it as magic.  The number of intristic powers (called esoteries) available to nanos is a lot more limited than the D&D spell repertoire, and they're a bit more broadly defined, though the amount of effects that can be accomplished with artifacts, cyphers, and oddities, is potentially limitless.  Outside of being d20 based, the system shares practically nothing in common with D&D.  There are 3 stat pools: might, speed, and intellect.  As you use each of these you can can apply extra effort into actions, whatever they may be, to either increase your chance of success or increase the effects (more damage, etc), but this drains the appropriate stat pool by a certain amount and you don't immediately get those points back (until you rest or whatever) which limits your options down the line or makes you more susceptible to certain things.  I need to read a lot more to truly get the grasp of it.

I meant to say this before but you have a really good ability to describe things in a way that is interesting and easy to understand. Its the same when you discuss your adventures in games, its like a little story that's fun to follow :) . You should consider using this skill in some sort of more professional way. Like being a gaming journalist? I also think you are objective and that's what people look for with gaming reviews

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela