I like playing diplomatic smooth talker type rogue characters, but do agree with some posters that the implementation in other games is lacking. Would be nice if the implementation of diplomacy was more subtle than a highlighted dialog options. Problem of course is having those highlighed dialog options lets the player know that their skill is useful. What I'd like to see is the skill subtlely alter the conversation so you as the player don't need to choose different conversation options, the options you're presented with already take into account whatever skills or perks or feats or abilities you already have. It seems silly to provide the player with an instant win option as well as an alternative that has an associated cost or an instant win that gives you a bonus vs other conversation options that do nothing. This is excepting alignment related options of course. Presuading someone to give up an item as an evil act vs letting them keep it as a good act.

Edited by Wench

What I am missing in modern RPGs is that feel that I have time to scout. What was wonderfull thing about old games are that they have ''Bad'' graphic so designer have to write down some informations about your enviroment. I would like to see streetwise/survival/woodlore/etc and act like bonus explanation marks. Do you remember about old Fallout2 where you can click on anything on screen you got explanation about what you see. These was great as it higher atmosphere for me because writers are good at making jokes. When you blow up toilet in Modoc it wa fun but best things where when you click on goo for more info. Same for Golgota for example. I know that there it was not tied to any specific skill but I would like this type of info text return to RPGs.

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

I like non-combat-skills that are specific for a class in games, so every class is different to play even outside of combat. But since they want to give us skillpoints that we can put into non-combat abilities, I guess that most skills will be available for every class (because there aren't that many useful non-combat skills in total). If this happens, then I would like to see classes having a small bonus in those skills that are for their class and also another bonus through the main ("SPECIAL")-skills this class needs more. So for example a rogue could have a bonus on lockpicking and also a bonus through high dex, what he also needs as rogue.

Most non-combat skills have already been notedm but that would be my list:

- Different speech skills: Persuade (Bonus for high Intelligence), Seducion (Charisma), Intimidate (Strength), for me they do not have to be noted in dialogue as those options. Shouldn't only be useful with the main character, but u should be able to chose who does the talking (!).

- Lore (Wisdom/Intelligence): should give additional dialogue options and lets you identify items easier and faster. Identifying items imho should not always work with know nothing at all about this item/know every detail about it but also have a step in between for legendary items, where you have to find out what the item is able to do and what not. I tried to describe the idea in curses topic: http://forums.obsidi...es/page__st__20

- Herbalism (Wisdom): collecting and identifying herbs and berries and making potions out of them.

- Hunting (Wisdom?): getting claws and teeth and pelt and all that off monsters

- Crafting (Strength): collecting raw materials for weapons and making equipment out of them

- Find traps, hidden doors, hidden treasure (Perception)

- Wilderness:(Perception) avoid random worldmap encounters if there are any

- Healing (Durability/Resistance): give some energy of your own soul to others to heal them?

- Strong soul (Durability/Resistance): get more resistance against poison, curses, fatique, sickness and other conditions that affect you also outside of combat, so u can use unknown potions and items on that character

- Lockpick (Dex)

- Pickpocket (Dex)

- Bargain (Charisma)

- Sneak (Dex?)

- Enchant (Intelligence)

Edited by Rink

I like speech skills. It was only speech in F:NV, but I like when we have options like, bluff, diplomacy, intinidate, etc. I love playing games without killing. This is not something I usually do for a first (or second) playthrough, but just having the option for future playthroughs is great.

I'd like it if different skills were used for different situations. Talking to a chubby merchant? You have an option to use strength to scare him. You meet an intellegent mage? Intelligence won't work in dialogue, because he's smarter than you. Maybe a social skill that strokes his ego will work.