Should HP and stamina be determined by different attributes?

Should health and stamina be determined by one statistic (endurance/constitution?)  

105 members have voted

1. 1. Should health and stamina be determined by one statistic (endurance/constitution?)

• Yes. Both health and stamina should be determined by a single stat.
    • No. They should be determined by two stats.
    • No. They should be determined by more than two stats.
    • I have another idea (write it in the comments).

Armor could make you more tired as well, reducing your stamina regeneration ?

Agreed. Something I quite liked about Dragon Age was the Fatigue mechanic. If it only mattered as well...

Backing the derived-stamina and static-health wave here. Further, I'd try chopping out the notion of a constitution stat in the first place and try rolling it into strength. To balance, most hit chance modifiers will then end up as agility/dexterity related.

Strength - damage, stamina

Agility - chance to hit, avoidance

Then you could parallel the mental stats -

Mental strength = Intelligence

Mental agility = Wits

And have them affect spellcasting in a similar way. I'm a bit unsure about the ubiquitious charisma stat. Is it required in addition to wits, or perhaps as a replacement?

...I think I've sailed a fair way off course so I'll be quiet now. :)

Look at Arcanum. You have four physical attributed, four mental ones. You have the power stat, the nimble stat, the endurance stat, and the reaction stat. Strength is the physical power stat, intelligence is the mental one. Dexterity is the mental nimble stat, Perception is the mental one (agreed, connection is a bit tenuous). Constitution is the physical endurance stat, Willpower the mental one. Beauty is the physical reaction stat, Charisma is the mental one.

Some similar system of 'pairing' stats, like you proposed could work quite well. Though I would like more than four stats, I confess.

Agreed. Something I quite liked about Dragon Age was the Fatigue mechanic. If it only mattered as well...

The difference is

In Dragon Age fatigue affected the abilities you could use.

With this system it's more your general survivability in a fight / how many consecutive fights you can take.

A good example is like, The Mountain vs The Red Viper in GRRM's A Storm of Swords

The Mountain wearing full plate armor, despite being the strongest man in the realm eventually got tired and started taking some serious damage from Oberyn, who was wearing very light armor in comparison

Edited by Sensuki

I would see stamina based on several attributes, maybe endurance and willpower or their equivalents. And also on health points. If you are physically (or mentally) injuried, you should go down faster. But you could sustain more being a strong-endurant person with a will of iron.

I like this HP/stamina distinction. Stamina is closer to HP interpretation from Gygax in a way.

The difference is

In Dragon Age fatigue affected the abilities you could use.

With this system it's more your general survivability in a fight / how many consecutive fights you can take.

A good example is like, The Mountain vs The Red Viper in GRRM's A Storm of Swords

The Mountain wearing full plate armor, despite being the strongest man in the realm eventually got tired and started taking some serious damage from Oberyn, who was wearing very light armor in comparison

Yeah, I agree. The problem was just that the fatigue didn't matter. You always regenerated to full stamina after a fight anyway, and you regenerated fast enough/had enough base stamina to get out of the encounter easily anyway. A system where heavier armour actually makes it take longer to get back up to full condition would be great, particularly in conjunction with some time-based quests, so that it actually matters. Otherwise, there's little point in having armour apply a penalty to stamina regeneration (outside of combat, that is).

Haven't read A Song of Ice and Fire, so I'll just take your word for it.