I Dream of Eternity

I had the funkiest dream last night about Project Eternity and for lack of anywhere better to share it, I'm writing it down here before I forget it all.

Right before I went to bed, I was checking Twitter and a friend of mine had posted the P:E Kickstarter map, which I hadn't seen yet. I thought it was pretty cool.

So I'm asleep and I have one of those Inception-like realer-than-real dreams. I dream that I'm looking at that stretch goal map, and there is a stretch goal for "Old Man in the Window" which is literally just an old guy leaning out a window, resting his arms on the windowsill, like you might see in some Saturday Evening Post cover back in the day.

That's when my dream take a turn for the madcap when all of a sudden I'm playing the game (I wish!) and my dream looks like the computer screen and I'm interfacing with it - dialogue choices and all. The particulars are already starting to fade, so let me bullet-point them before I forget.

- There's nothing special about the guy. Just someone random that you can talk with if you wander down the right street, and he asked that the party fetch him some food. Did that.

- Come back later, and he talked with me about other stuff I did (already forgotten, but it was a few things). I distinctly remember thinking how cool it was that I could talk more about things I did that he heard as stories about me.

- A few more favors, including fixing stuff in his house, getting more stuff, etc. Finding out that he has something of a colorful past without really being able to discern why.

- Came back eventually and a zombified version of him was in the window, and all the dialogue responses from him were various zombie moans. Went inside his place and slew the zombie, only to have him come out of the bathroom where he was hiding. The old man wasn't the zombie, but the zombie was sent there to kill him! By way of offering explanation, he drags out this big treasure chest. As he starts to open it, it glows and the whole party gets sucked in.

- Turns out the treasure chest is some kind of odd curse and the only way to truly get at the treasure is to survive the adventure it puts you through. We're all there but the old man is suddenly this badass pirate king, which is what it turns out his past was. He lost his original crew and somehow managed to get out (he doesn't remember how), but without unlocking the treasure. He kept the chest as a kind of "one day..." dream, but obviously that day never rolled around.

- Suffice to say, we defeat the adventure (it involved trekking around jungles and an Incan temple). When we warp out, though, we're not back in his house. Turns out whoever sent the zombie came in and took the chest while we were trapped within. We slew the people outside the chest and it turned out we were on the island fortress of another rival pirate who wanted the treasure for himself. Oh...I don't recall what the treasure was. I don't think I ever defined it in my dream.

- We had to go pillage the fortress and take it over for ourselves. It was at that point that I began waking up.

Keep in mind that whole last part was like I was actually playing an isometric RPG. It was AWESOME! :-D I recommend isometric RPGs for all of you.

I obviously have P:E on the brain! As for how the game looked...honestly, just projections of old games. The street and house looked like something out of BG and the island fortress looked like something like the mortuary in Planescape! Hey, my mind worked with what it had!

• Like 1

Hey, that's a pretty awesome dream. I wouldn't mind if Obsidian did that though maybe without zombies.....I don't like zombies, think they've been done a bit much in everything. >_<

I think the only reason it was a zombie was for the humor of seeing a zombie hanging out in a window, just chillin' and enjoying his day, and then being able to converse with him, but with all the responses being a variant of "uUUUUUUHHHHhhhhh..."