scale and scope of the project

I am wondering about the scale and scope of this project. The Kickstarter goal seems low not only compared to contemporary budgets, but also to numbers I know from older games of the early 2000s (e.g. Thief 1: 3 million USD). Does anyone know the budget of any of the infinity engine games?

Can we really expect a game with the scale and scope of Baldur's Gate 2 to come out of this? Is the budget sufficient to create enough assets to fill and populate the world, or will they have to be reused often and placed sparsely?

What are your expectations?

I think we could probably get something on the same scope as Planescape, one of the Icewind Dales, Fallout, or Arcanum. The companion cast seems to be pretty small for Baldur's Gate. They can cut out some overhead, if they keep their design focused and don't have to deal with a publisher making feature requests mid-development, I think it'll come out pretty close.

There will probably be smaller spell and monster lists than the D&D games.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I am wondering about the scale and scope of this project.

Was chatting to Ferg on Skype earlier. They intend to:

* Establish a colony of QA Monkeys on Mars by 2015 to terraform it using the Unity Engine

* Bring peace to the Middle East

* Cure twelve different aggressive (and hitherto incurable) cancers

* Make a Transformers movie that doesn't make you want to puke

* Buy Electronic Arts and move the executives to the new Mars Space Station to work in the new Quadrilium Mines established there

* Pay for Katy Perry to have singing lessons

* Invade Canada

This is on a projected $3.5 million budget.

• Like 2

sonsofgygax.JPG