Marketing Question for Ferg / Obz

Hello.

Obviously, this project is all over the Internet and in the gaming community. And the KS has been successful. So far, so good.

But I was wondering how, In your industry, marketing works. P:E is a modestly budgeted title --- are you relying on viral marketing or will there be a separate, more traditional marketing effort of the type you might usually leave to the publisher.

Furthermore, do you want to reach out to a new generation of gamers who might never have tried this sort of title but might like it? How do you plan on getting that message across?

Would be delighted if somebody from the company shared their thoughts. Clearly, we all want as many gamers as possible to buy this product, and hopefully introduce new blood into this little, but rewarding, corner of gaming.

sonsofgygax.JPG

Good questions, I would like to know these things, too.

But maybe it's a bit too early in the development to get clear statements by Obsidian about their marketing strategy. Though I think that they already reasoned that out, at least to a first minimum marketing approach. ;)

35167v4.jpg

I think having the game on GOG.com and Steam is enough ensure fairly healthy sales after release. And i'm sure some gamers who aren't necessarily familiar with CRPGs will hear about it and enjoy it, if they have the capacity to appreciate this type of game.

I really don't think they need to market the game further or try and appeal to the masses. If anything, using KS for this kind of project should enable the developers to target a more exclusive niche audience.

"Build it and they will come" has it's place, but I am wondering if Obsidian have something else in their back pocket.

I am thinking about the ending-scene now, great analogy *sniff*

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy