Unable to Edit Older Posts?

IcyDeadPeople

I didn't see any mention in the Forum Guidelines, and couldn't find any sort of forum FAQ with information about this.

However, it seems that I can no longer edit posts that are more than a couple hours old. Is this standard, or are we only able to edit the most recent post we made? Or is there possibly some sort of problem with my browser (Google Chrome).

Apologies if this belongs in a different forum section.

Edited by IcyDeadPeople

I didn't see any mention in the Forum Guidelines, and couldn't find any sort of forum FAQ with information about this.

However, it seems that I can no longer edit posts that are more than a couple hours old. Is this standard, or are we only able to edit the most recent post we made? Or is there possibly some sort of problem with my browser (Google Chrome).

It's some long-antiquated and poorly thought out mechanism from years past (KOTOR 2 era Obsidian I believe) to limit people trolling each other by saying something, getting a response, then changing their original post to make it look like the responder is a moron. Or something.

Of course, because of their short-sightedness in permanently implementing the edit time limit to combat a few short-lived trolls, we all have to now put up with an artificial and annoying limit to polishing our posts. Hooray!

On top of this, we also get the ugly "this post was edited!!111!" message scrawled across any post we edit immediately after posting and noticing there's an error. It doesn't have to be this way - originally the forum software was set to give people a grace period of a few minutes after editing their post before the dumb "this message was edited!" scrawl popped up. But clearly somebody on the admin team thought that a forum full of aesthetically pleasing posts and content posters was worth violating with a hammer of "this doesn't look tacky enough yet" +5.

Edited by Krezack
  • Like 1

It's some long-antiquated and poorly thought out mechanism from years past (KOTOR 2 era Obsidian I believe) to limit people trolling each other by saying something, getting a response, then changing their original post to make it look like the responder is a moron. Or something.

Of course, because of their short-sightedness in permanently implementing the edit time limit to combat a short-lived trolls, we all have to now put up with an artificial and annoying limit to polishing our posts. Hooray!

I see - this is a bit problematic for threads where we are attempting to organize and collect information. For example, I have posted a thread in the Project Eternity section with a goal of summarizing all the information revealed about the game's factions.

If I understand correctly, there is no way for me to edit this post to add more info in the future? Or do moderators sometimes make posts edit-friendly again?

Edited by IcyDeadPeople

Yeah, so here is where it becomes ****ing painful. (Thanks, mod team!)

You need to send each individual edit to a moderator of that forum so that they can edit the post for you. So lots of PMs. Lots of moderator time spent doing something that isn't even necessary.

Oh wow, well thanks very much for clarifying!

And it seems very kind of the mods to go through the trouble to do this for us.

The reasons for an editing time limit aren't completely unreasonable, from a mod's point of view. It's not just about a troll making other users look like a moron but that it then erases the evidence so mods may not be able to see/judge complaints. But it is often frustrating as a user and it's a fine line to draw.

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, LadyCrimson is right - but as Krezack said, if you need any editing done IcyDeadPeople, just PM one of us.

Thanks very much, Rosbjerg! However, I really hate to bother you guys to do something like so minor, like updating a poll option or adding one or two lines to the original post, etc.

Is there any chance this policy might change as we have more members joining in recent days?

Edited by IcyDeadPeople

We can always review it, but of course, no promises.

We're always happy to make edits for people as necessary, so you don't need to feel bad about it.

• Like 1