Alpha Protocol is not an ugly game!

It's not even subpar compared to recent RPGs - it looks noticeably better than DA:O, for example.

Though I think DAO was better graphically, I think the most important difference is more than anything in the animations. Animations can make or break a game. Even extremely dated graphics can look "all right" if the design is good and the animations compensate (case in point : World of Warcraft, which should look abysmally bad with its 3-or-so-polygons-models, but somehow manage to not be visually jarring (if you don't mind the comic book design of course).

It's not even subpar compared to recent RPGs - it looks noticeably better than DA:O, for example.

Though I think DAO was better graphically, I think the most important difference is more than anything in the animations. Animations can make or break a game. Even extremely dated graphics can look "all right" if the design is good and the animations compensate (case in point : World of Warcraft, which should look abysmally bad with its 3-or-so-polygons-models, but somehow manage to not be visually jarring (if you don't mind the comic book design of course).

I found DAO's visuals and animations to both be worse.

I think the OP is referring to what some reviewers said about the PS2 graphics.

Indeed, AP is not an ugly game, I cannot tell from the PC point of view, just the 360 and the graphics are much better than DAO, but not as good as Batman Arkham Asylum (which uses unreal engine, too) or au pair of ME2, but not really that bad as a PS2 game.... that is an exaggeration, of course talking about RPGs or games using unreal engine in 360.

BAA visual excellency comes from superior texturing artists, proper use of lighting (level design) and probably some shader tweaks. It has nothing to do with engine itself.

AP isn't lacking anything in what was mentioned about other games using Unreal Engine. It's the engine and also consoles processing capabilities which gets old. Having said that - AP is visually on par with other games using UE3, and - what's most important - is quite consistent in the way it depicts the game world.

Mike VS Jizan Weapons Stockpile:

screenshot00003a.jpg