Can not tweak,please help

Reg1.1

Question

Hello, I just got the game yesterday,happy to find out that it can actually run on my piece of sh!t computer. I tried tweaking it to run better and actually managed to get rather stable FPS and good gameplay speed. I also found out that this screwed up all conversation cutscenes and menus in game. Ofcourse I was like WTF, I only turned off some features, I did not get rid of texture streaming or anything. This is what I did:

[systemSettings]

StaticDecals=True -to- False

DynamicDecals=True -to- False

DynamicLights=True -to- False

DynamicShadows=True -to- False

LightEnvironmentShadows=True -to- False

CompositeDynamicLights=True -to- False

DirectionalLightmaps=True -to- False

MotionBlur=true -to- false (This makes all character models in cutscenes and conversations black with no textures)

DepthOfField=False -to- False

AmbientOcclusion=True -to- False

Bloom=True -to- False

QualityBloom=False -to- False

Distortion=True -to- False

DropParticleDistortion=True -to- False

SpeedTreeLeaves=True

SpeedTreeFronds=True

OnlyStreamInTextures=False

LensFlares=True -to- False

FogVolumes=True -to- False

FloatingPointRenderTargets=True

Trilinear=True

OneFrameThreadLag=True

UseVsync=True

UpscaleScreenPercentage=True

Fullscreen=True

AllowD3D10=False

EnableHighPolyChars=True

SkeletalMeshLODBias=0

ParticleLODBias=1

DetailMode=2 -to- 1

ShadowFilterQualityBias=0

MaxAnisotropy=4

MaxMultisamples=1

MinShadowResolution=32

MaxShadowResolution=512

The problems I have are that the models of characters in cutscenes and conversations are entirely black, I know this is a texture issue, but it happens when I disable MotionBlur, and I hate blur by default, I just don't want to play with it on. Any of the other ones make every single menu, like the inventory or skill selector, have a broken background to the interface. By this I mean that say in the inverntory I can see the interface, the stats of the pistol, I can see that stuff, but the background behind it, that has the graphical model of the pistol and the light blue color is just messed up, either fully balck, at times it changes to broken purple lines, other times it is black and green lines and stuff like that. I tried playing the game with all of those things turned on, but the FPS is just too low. Can someone atleast tell me what I can turn off safely, because my PC is just too slow to try and turn off one thing, test the game, then another thing, test the game. It just doesn't make any sence why turning off these features would result in glithes like that, I have played other UE3 games with the same tweaks, and they ran perfect. Please someone help, I have been waiting for this game, for a very long time and really want to play it.

7 answers to this question

Maybe try disabling Motion Blur in-game as opposed to using the .ini function?

Also tell us your specs - they should help as well.

The options menu does not give me the option to disable blur, it doesn't even have most of the features there.

AMD Athlon LE-1600 2.2GHz

1024 mb RAM

Nvidia GeForce 6600 (nForce 4300) 512 mb

Windows XP

1000 Gb Hard drive (I have anough space on C:)

P.S: Updated all drivers yesterday.

Edited by Reg1.1

Excuse the deff and the blind I did not at all pay attention to the standard settings and went directly to advanced. Much better now. If only someone could look into what can be disabled without screwing up the game I will be so :)

Heya,

Didn't want to open a new topic, because this is somewhat related. I read that, currently, setting both AA and AF in the graphic card control panel causes problem with dialogues and whatnot. What about setting them through the ini (APEngine.ini -MaxAnisotropy and MaxMultisamples) Are those lines "active" or nothing will change?

- Also, I noticed a line, currently set to "False", supporting Nvidia PhysX; then, regarding shadows: MinResolution is at 64. Max at 512; maybe we can dabble with them as well.

- At the beginning of the aforementioned .ini, in [Engine.Engine] "bAllowMatureLanguage" is set to FALSE.

- Also, what about the arrow indicators that point you to an objective? Can they be turned off through some .ini setting? Sorry if they actually go off, I'm only playing the tutorial, so it might change later on ;)

Thanks!

"The Price of Freedom is Eternal Vigilance" - Wing Commander IV