I got it! (hard drive)

Walsingham

What to buy thread.

I finally got around to hooking it up, and it seems fine. There is a noticeable shift in speed for browsing, but in terms of other programs accessing it looks all good.

A few of questions:

1. Can I compare access speeds directly? Between the new one and my integrated HD?

2. Is there anything I should do to check data integrity or manufacturing flaws before I delete the original files I am now copying?

3. Can I instruct Windows to store stuff like My Documents automatically in the new HD?

4. I assume I can put a partition on this one and have it boot win95, or won't that work as it's USB? If I do will that slow down normal startup because if it does I'll probably just convert an old PC to running games.

I'm leaving the OS and program files on the original HD.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

• 1 month later...

1. There are benchmark programs for HDDs.

2. It should be fine.

3. Yes. Check out My Documents' properties.

4. I'm not sure it is possible, but if it is, it shouldn't make the startup of other OSs in your system slower. Only the startup of the OS that is located in the USB drive will be slower.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Thanks for the comeback. I'll go ahead and trust it then.

As for the separate OS, I was told over the weekend by a friend that driver conflicts etc are so bad on modern hardware that it's not worth worrying about. I therefore intend to have an old PC to play on instead.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Why not use VirtualPC for that? :-

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Virtual PC?

-Elwood Blues

VirtualPC 2007 SP1

Free virtual PC from Microsoft. Can use either dedicated drive partitions or files as virtual harddisks. Excellent for running test setups or just that old Windows 95/98 program that you can't find any working hardware for anymore :-

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

• 2 months later...