Is it still possible to buy 32-bit single core processors?

Humodour

For legacy gaming purposes I want to build a top of the line single core machine. I'll maybe buy two of each part to prolong its life.

What caused me to do this is noticing that a lot of old games (e.g. Beyond Good and Evil) don't play nice with newer hardware and newer operating systems.

DosBox not good enough anymore? :lol:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

There's this. That might work.

Or just get an Atom netbook.

In 7th grade, I teach the students how Chuck Norris took down the Roman Empire, so it is good that you are starting early on this curriculum.

R.I.P. KOTOR 2003-2008 KILLED BY THOSE GREEDY MONEY-HOARDING ************* AND THEIR *****-*** MMOS

DosBox not good enough anymore? :huh:

You can run Beyond Good and Evil in DosBox? :p

I don't know Beyond Good and Evil :(

Still, I managed to get everything from Master of Orion 2 to the original Tomb Raider to run, so who knows?

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I don't know Beyond Good and Evil :p

Still, I managed to get everything from Master of Orion 2 to the original Tomb Raider to run, so who knows?

BG&E was released late 2003, so I wouldn't bet on it :huh:

I don't know Beyond Good and Evil :huh:

BG&E was released late 2003, so I wouldn't bet on it :)

Ah, so it is a fairly new game :)

Edit: I.e. too new for dos?

What kind of problems BG&E then has? It's one of those games I've been planning to buy from GOG.

It has problems GOG can't fix: video and audio mess up, desynchronise on multi-core systems. Fiddling with processor affinity can help, but not completely mitigate problems.

DosBox not good enough anymore? :)

You can run Beyond Good and Evil in DosBox? :huh:

I don't know Beyond Good and Evil :)

Heathen! Go to Good Old Games or Steam and become enlightened, it's an awesome game.

Edit: I.e. too new for dos?

Veeeeeeeeeeeeeery much so.

It has problems GOG can't fix: video and audio mess up, desynchronise on multi-core systems. Fiddling with processor affinity can help, but not completely mitigate problems.

There seemed to be solutions to those at GOG forums, couple settings that needs to be turned off. What comes to multi-core problems ImageCFG fixes those.