Linux

Lare Kikkeli

I challenge you to install Ubuntu 9.10 and XP on the same machine. Come back and tell me which one can't find the drivers.

Hint: XP does not support ethernet, sound, or video drivers out of the box. Ubuntu does, and Ubuntu supports a larger number of devices than XP because Microsoft and hardware manufcaturers tend to be horrid at supporting things older than a couple of years.

You seem really angry for some reason.

I'd mess around with linux again, but I don't have an extra computer at the moment. Getting Xandros off my EEE PC 1000H and installing XP was fun enough for at least a year. You'd think laptop were harder to almost brick than other stuff...

I don't have anything against Linux, but the "Window$ is teh suck" crowd is just as annoying as the Mac crowd and the "OMGZ linux is unpossible" crowd. They all have their pluses and minuses.

Edited by Purkake

I challenge you to install Ubuntu 9.10 and XP on the same machine. Come back and tell me which one can't find the drivers.

Hint: XP does not support ethernet, sound, or video drivers out of the box. Ubuntu does, and Ubuntu supports a larger number of devices than XP because Microsoft and hardware manufcaturers tend to be horrid at supporting things older than a couple of years.

You seem really angry for some reason.

Eh, no. I didn't mean to imply you were against Linux. I just felt you were making him scared of the switch. I was going to add a note clarifying that but forgot. :)

Goot article, Fio, but it's from the perspective of an advanced user who has used other distros before. I guess LK falls somewhere in between, since he's advanced with computers and knows about things like partitioning and such but has not used Linux before.

Yeah I've been fiddling with computers since my first one, an Amiga 500 when I was 5. Been working with macs for years and built a few PC's for home use. I've been interested in Linux for years but it's just seemed too much of a hassle. Now the more I read about Ubuntu the more it seems like more of a valid option instead of a nerdy hobby.

That's a good idea Krez. My mobo, Asus P5Q seems to be one of the few mobos that has some compatibility issues with Ubuntu, but most of them seem to be fixable.

Now the more I read about Ubuntu the more it seems like more of a valid option instead of a nerdy hobby.

It's both.

And to clarify, you seemed under the impression that you just stick the Ubuntu disc in and everything will magically work. It's not super complicated, but it will require some fiddling in the beginning. If I misunderstood you then I'm sorry.

Also, watch out for this:

cautionary.png

Edited by Purkake

Now the more I read about Ubuntu the more it seems like more of a valid option instead of a nerdy hobby.

It's both.

And to clarify, you seemed under the impression that you just stick the Ubuntu disc in and everything will magically work. It's not super complicated, but it will require some fiddling in the beginning. If I misunderstood you then I'm sorry.

topic_linux.jpg Penguin power!

Well I didn't think it would be that easy, just probably no harder than getting any new Windows OS to work properly.

I looked into Linux/Wine myself a bit ago. Hubby has all kinds of Linux systems in his den so I fiddled with those a bit.

While the desktop interface/UI is fine getting everything to work the way you want is far too complicated for a non-techie/programmer person like myself. I mean, hey, I get annoyed just when I have to copy-paste long lines of code into a game .ini to get a 'feature' & t hen have to figure out why it's not working. :p

Plus from what I read, it wouldn't do for "serious" pcgaming at all. If you don't game a lot or care about latest releases much, it'd be ok but....

...still I understand not wanting to use Windows. That's why I looked into it myself. Good luck, and hope it works for you.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

• 2 weeks later...
Why would you want to switch to Linux? Too much of a hassle finding the right software/drivers, not to mention you can't play most of the games on it.

Windows 7 is awesome.

Damn, I just realised something: my creative Zen drivers/software might not work with WINE. That might be a good enough reason not to switch :rolleyes: I'll have to find out.

:lol:

Also, you can get W7 for pretty cheap if not free if you are a student or better an IT student.

As for drivers, I was speaking generally, but it would be a good idea to see if all the drivers you're going to need are available for 64 bit or at all, for that matter.

Agreed. Windows 7 is superior to XP and vastly better then Vista. I skipped vista myself and love W7. It runs super smooth and all my games runs flawlessly. (FO3, DA, HoMM5, Civ4 for example). There is no reason for the headaches of linux when w7 is the clear choice and superior product. Of course if you want to setup a cheap server then sure go linux. Otherwise it does not come close to the functionality, east of use and software library of windows7. (That is of course you are not looking for 90 different text editors then yes linux is your thing)

I backed up my files and it took w7 about 20 mins to install from a clean drive. Didn't need to use a driver disk for anything and what it couldn't find on the DVD it downloaded drivers from the MS site automaticly. Install was very painless.

I see no reason not to pay MS for a GOOD product. vista wasnt and I held back and let me wallet do the talking. But W7 is far superior. Like going from w98 to XP. Its that big of a difference. (Not that XP was unstable like 98 but making the point the improvments are about the same of xp to w7)

World of Darkness News

http://www.wodnews.net

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente