Some new info about the World of Darkness MMORPG

Heh, didn't know CCP was behind this. They're doing pretty well with their small(ish) fanbase.

It's a winner take all deathmatch because MMOs are more about stealing each other's userbase than getting more people into MMOs these days.

It's a winner take all deathmatch because MMOs are more about stealing each other's userbase than getting more people into MMOs these days.

Do you have any evidence to support this? While it is true that most people only play 1 or 2 MMO's at a time, we have no idea what audience ceiling is. It is a genre that continues to grow at a very healthy rate. More titles are added every year and yet they continue to pull in subscribers without crippling older games.

I've yet to see a quality MMO go belly up, and I've seen quite a few mediocre ones survive longer than expected. It's much more likely that the game will die in the development stage than choke once it is released.

Do you have any evidence to support this? While it is true that most people only play 1 or 2 MMO's at a time, we have no idea what audience ceiling is. It is a genre that continues to grow at a very healthy rate. More titles are added every year and yet they continue to pull in subscribers without crippling older games.

I've yet to see a quality MMO go belly up, and I've seen quite a few mediocre ones survive longer than expected. It's much more likely that the game will die in the development stage than choke once it is released.

Always with you and your evidence :)

Most new MMOs pull a bunch of people and then stabilize at a few hundred thousand and while still being profitable, they don't get the continuous grown that WoW is experiencing.

My point is that no MMO is anywhere close to WoW, even though they have better graphics/cooler features/whatnot. Why is that, if there are limitless amounts of new players to be tapped into? WoW is old, but it is still growing while the new MMOs are barely scratching the surface.

The setting is very intriguing, but it's ultimately the execution and core mechanic that will make or break the game for me.

I want to be able to first stake the vampires, then cut their heads off and fill their mouths with holy wafers and holy water.

It also sucks that WoD vamps can enter homes uninvited and cross running water :)

You do know most of what you are saying if fairly modern vampire lore. Go back father then the Victorian era and those 'weaknesses' (and prob most of what you know about vampire lore) don't exist.

Edited by TheHarlequin

World of Darkness News

http://www.wodnews.net

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

My point is that no MMO is anywhere close to WoW, even though they have better graphics/cooler features/whatnot. Why is that, if there are limitless amounts of new players to be tapped into? WoW is old, but it is still growing while the new MMOs are barely scratching the surface.

Because WoW caters to the lowest common denominator player. When you cater to such and put the bar so low you have a much larger player base to tap into.

World of Darkness News

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

The setting is very intriguing, but it's ultimately the execution and core mechanic that will make or break the game for me.

I want to be able to first stake the vampires, then cut their heads off and fill their mouths with holy wafers and holy water.

It also sucks that WoD vamps can enter homes uninvited and cross running water :)

You do know most of what you are saying if fairly modern vampire lore. Go back father then the Victorian era and those 'weaknesses' (and prob most of what you know about vampire lore) don't exist.

I was kidding, and as fate would have it, I'm not an expert on vampire slaying...

Because WoW caters to the lowest common denominator player. When you cater to such and put the bar so low you have a much larger player base to tap into.

You'd think that other MMO developers would also like to have a lot of subscribers and money, why the hell aren't they catering to the lowest common denominator, but doing it better?

> I was kidding, and as fate would have it, I'm not an expert on vampire slaying...

hehe.. well here is a great video about 10 mins that really dives into not just the recent lore but ancient vampire mythos. Very accurate and interesting if you are so inclined for a real history of the vampire mythos;

http://www.wodonlinenews.net/Forums/tabid/...81/Default.aspx

> You'd think that other MMO developers would also like to have a lot of subscribers and money, why the hell aren't they catering to the lowest common denominator, but doing it better?

I think folks like CCP rather have a balance between their vision, gameplay and player base. Where other devs like blizzard seems to be all about the $ and little else. I have to give folks like CCP credit. They could have dumbed down EVE, as WoW is, long ago but stuck to their guns. Now they have over 300K active subs. While just a dent vs WoW that is still a reasonable amount of subs and clearly enough to keep it profitable. If they have that same mind set while developing WoD with white wolf we shall be in for a treat. Plus, a more complex, hard core game like EVE will scare away many of the kiddies which IMO makes for a much more pleasant in-game environment. :nuke:

World of Darkness News

---

- Doreen Valiente

hehe.. well here is a great video about 10 mins that really dives into not just the recent lore but ancient vampire mythos. Very accurate and interesting if you are so inclined for a real history of the vampire mythos;

http://www.wodonlinenews.net/Forums/tabid/...81/Default.aspx

Just a though here, but you really do like your vampires, don't you?

I think folks like CCP rather have a balance between their vision, gameplay and player base. Where other devs like blizzard seems to be all about the $ and little else. I have to give folks like CCP credit. They could have dumbed down EVE, as WoW is, long ago but stuck to their guns. Now they have over 300K active subs. While just a dent vs WoW that is still a reasonable amount of subs and clearly enough to keep it profitable. If they have that same mind set while developing WoD with white wolf we shall be in for a treat. Plus, a more complex, hard core game like EVE will scare away many of the kiddies which IMO makes for a much more pleasant in-game environment. :nuke:

CCP is doing awesomely, I was talking more in general.

I also find it really funny when the "hardcore" MMO people are calling WoW kiddie. At the end of the day you are still both mining rocks and hauling crap from one place to another, why not get along?

Edited by Purkake

> Just a though here, but you really do like your vampires, don't you?

I am a student of all occult topics actually. Hobby of mine if you will, as a modern day pagan witch pretty typical interest at that.

> CCP is doing awesomely, I was talking more in general.

Fair enough.

> I also find it really funny when the "hardcore" MMO people are calling WoW kiddie. At the end of the day you are still both mining rocks and hauling crap from one place to another, why not get along?

I certainly wouldn't call myself 'hardcore'. I would call myself someone who likes a pleasant gaming environment not over run with l33t speak and idiot kids out just to grief other users for kicks. Generally games like eve scare many of them away from what I see (certainly not all but a noticeable amount) because you need to use your brain as much as your twitch reflexes. I have no issue 'getting along' with those types of kid players. As long as they stay away from me and whatever game I am playing ;)

Since WoD is going to be rated M that right there will cut down on some of the issue anyways. *shrugs*

World of Darkness News

---

- Doreen Valiente

Hey, at least you're not a techno-pagan :)

I have seen my share of idiots on EVE as well. "Other people" is the main reason I dislike MMOs.

I don't get the whole techno-pagan movement myself. And this from a pretty open minded pagan who practices witchcraft and modern wizardry. But they claim it works for them so... *shrugs*

I don't dispute there will be idiots in WoD just like eve. Simply saying the less dumbed down game play/mechanics and less the game will attract the instant gratification kiddies. Not that element will be removed, just culled.

World of Darkness News

---

- Doreen Valiente

Hey, at least you're not a techno-pagan :p

I have seen my share of idiots on EVE as well. "Other people" is the main reason I dislike MMOs.

I don't get the whole techno-pagan movement myself. And this from a pretty open minded pagan who practices witchcraft and modern wizardry. But they claim it works for them so... *shrugs*

I don't dispute there will be idiots in WoD just like eve. Simply saying the less dumbed down game play/mechanics and less the game will attract the instant gratification kiddies. Not that element will be removed, just culled.

Techno-pagan was supposed to be a Buffy the Vampire Slayer reference, I didn't know they really existed and I'm not sure I wanted to know that :)

Edited by Purkake

Hehe, you'd be surprised ;)

If the game will be called WOD, let's hope it delivers, otherwise the blow to the franchise might be bigger than if it was called WOD Online.

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

Techno-pagan was supposed to be a Buffy the Vampire Slayer reference, I didn't know they really existed and I'm not sure I wanted to know that :ermm:

And he got that concept from the real life techno-pagans.. minus the flashy FX 'magic' (I wish I could do that...) JW was pretty accurate at his depiction of wiccans on the show. I know the local wiccan/pagan community here in Boston it was VERY popular with us when it was still airing due to that.

World of Darkness News

---

- Doreen Valiente