laptop auto-cursor?

So this laptop I'm trying to use seems to have this issue, where if I leave the mouse cursor over a link for a second (or less, it seems rather random) it sometimes automatically opens the link...or closes a window...or opens a program. It's extremely annoying, but also intermittent. Has anyone encountered this before, is there a Windows setting to turn this off or is something broken, hah? I turned off a lot of the default XP Windows visual features but it's still doing it. I've never had it on my desktops.

It's WinXp/sp2, Sony Vaio.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I've had a similar issue before on my wife's laptop. It was because the touchpad was set so that tapping it would act like a mouse click -- not so much a problem in itself but the touchpad was very sensitive causing it to click on things "randomly."

I don't know if your problem is even remotely similar but good luck figuring it out :lol:

That's what I thought was happening too, LostStraw...but it's happened when using a wireless mouse and when my hands were nowhere near the touchpad. I wonder if the plastic areas around the touchpad are "loose" or something...maybe even my hands on the sides of the touchpad sometimes trigger it via vibration.

Very strange.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts