Where did my DVD drive go?

Monte Carlo

I tried to boot up MTW2 Kingdoms when I got a SecuROM message pop up saying that it couldn't detect a DC/DVD-ROM drive.

Sure enough, it's disappeared. No icon in 'My Computer.'

I'd previously de-fragged my 'puter, a few hours earlier. I'm running Vista (I know), any ideas?

Edit: In device manager I'm getting this message:

Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)

Click 'Check for solutions' to send data about this device to Microsoft and to see if there is a solution available.

Check for solutions didn't work. Who'da thunk it?

Cheers

MC

Edited by Monte Carlo

sonsofgygax.JPG

Yes, known SecuRom "procedure" ;) Fry paying customer's drives. You might have noticed unusual high CPU usage when using a DVD before it died completely - at this stage, the drive can still be rescued. But your drive is now beyond the point of no return sadly :lol: You might want to contact Sblade on the Bio-boards, he seems to know a lot about SecuRom dos and don'ts.

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

You might want to contact Sblade on the Bio-boards, he seems to know a lot about SecuRom dos and don'ts.

If you want I can give you a link to his home forum, it's an anti-DRM site that has some useful information (not anything I didn't already know though).

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

Hmmm, asking around at work, my suspicion that it was a Nero Essentials issue increased (every time I said 'Nero Essentials' our resident technical person shook his head and made gloomy noises). So I used the Nero removal tool to delete it from my system, re-booted and my DVD drive mysteriously and happily started working again.

Not a SecUROM issue, although I'm sure it's as problematic as you describe.

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG

^ That's what my tech guy said - there are similiarities between copy protection and DVD burning / editing suites (which I suppose is obvious when you stop to think about it). Nero is, apparently, a pretty complex piece of software and can be difficult to uninstall. To be fair, the cleaning tool they issue on their website is easy to use and does the job.

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG