Names names...

Calax

The Grom is absolutely right.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Ancient evil comes back to wipe everyone out is one of the oldest stories the human race tells. So, it's not really fair to say anyone ripped it off when they are telling a variation of the old myth.

There is nothing new under the sun.

I think Bioware stepped way over the line when doing Mass Effect. First off, they stole the main characters name directly from from an ongoing and popular sci-fi tv show Stargate Atlantis. Then they made it a lot worse and blatantly stole the whole idea of an ancient race of beings who rise at regular intervals to harvest mankind; the Wraith who in ME became the Reapers.

Now this is not just acceptable borrowing, or following established patterns in sci-fi storymaking. Its blatant, stupid, unnecessary theft. If you are going to nick stuff, then do it discreetely, dont go cutting&pasting stuff that everyone and their grandmother will realise you stole. Its like making a fantasy game about a ring some evil villain made to rule the world AND calling the main character Frodo Baggins. Its really that stupid.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Kaftan missed the mark a bit, the Reapers are a lot more like the Wolves/Inhibitors of the Revelation Space universe by Alastair Reynolds. Even the warning mechanism being a big shiny thing set as a trap in space for races advanced enough to find and to signal the destroyers to appear was ripped from there. Naturally, Bioware changed some particulars, like the fact that Wolves can be individuals to an extent and even sarcastic, they're still very similar.

On the naming, pshah, John Shephard sounds official and military-like, like a certain Adrian for instance, I don't think it has that much signifigance. Especially since the actual character is such a blank slate.

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Mkreku, I think 'Master Chief' is a real US military NCO rank of some description. I'm sure the Americans here can help us out.

As for there being only 7/12/whatever stories, it's a superficially attractive idea. Then you read, say, Necronomicon by Neal Stephenson and you realise it simply isn't the case.

Cheers

MC

in the navy it's (and this was drilled into me at boot before I was kicked out

Seaman Recruit

Seaman

Senior Seaman (? not sure on that one)

Petty Officer 3rd class

Petty Officer 2nd class

Petty Officer 1st Class

Chief

Senior Chief

Master Chief (with a few permutations like Command Master Chief)

and finially Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy (MCPON)

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.