Autocomplete

Walsingham

I've just spent the last hour trying to work out why '2.3.1' in Openoffice calc becomes 02/03/01; and more importantly how to stop it.

In the process I managed to crack my bloody desk through sheer angry frustration.

Can anyone explain to me what possible ****ing good all these helpful features do? I must have spent hundreds if not thousands of hours doing data entry throughout my life, both scientific and corporate, and I'eve never known helpful features to do anything more than annoying the living **** out of me.

EDIT: I can accept someone somewhere might find them useful. But if you don't know what they are, how can you exploit them properly? They are inevitably going to crop up unexpectedly and by inference annoyingly. Why, then, is the default setting to NOT use them? then expert users could enable them as necessary, and novices would never run foul of them.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Because the type of people who might appreciate this are the type of people who would never look at a Settings file in their life, and would sooner buy a new computer. :)

Thankfully, my brain automatically anticipates them now.

Because the type of people who might appreciate this are the type of people who would never look at a Settings file in their life, and would sooner buy a new computer. :)

Thankfully, my brain automatically anticipates them now.

You know what I think of those people? Well, I don't know how to spell it. But imagine something like an angry bull being dropped through three sheets of glass onto their exposed spleens.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Moved to the tech section :)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Not really "autocompletion", but I do appreciate the IntelliSense in Visual Studio.

Isn't that more an autoformatting thing rather than an autocompletion? I do remember swearing out loudly when exporting 50000 rows to Excel just to discover that my large integers have been turned into scientific notation :)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I suppose it is autoformatting. What I really want is a big lever on the side of my PC that tells every single ****ing program that I would prefer to define everything myself clearly, and hang by own errors than be straightjacketed by their assumptions.

-Elwood Blues

Can anyone explain to me what possible ****ing good all these helpful features do? I must have spent hundreds if not thousands of hours doing data entry throughout my life, both scientific and corporate, and I'eve never known helpful features to do anything more than annoying the living **** out of me.

Would you believe I that, I have never in my life sent an SMS?

Never could find out how to disable the "helpful" feature that replaces my letters with complete words. I tried twice, gave up in disgust, called people instead :aiee:

You caveman, my stepdad did the same thing last night ;)

In my translating jobs I see a fair amount of 'top brass' government folks who get issued temporary phones by the embassy while they're visiting. The thing is, Korean phones are basically the best in the world. They're basically friendly smiling little internet-enabled computers. Then they come here (NZ), and we give them little bricks with everything in English. Lots of phone troubles. ;)

These technologies seem to be on the rise, and I think soon we'll start seeing thesauruses and other things integrated into email, word, etc. It's going to lead to an interesting breakdown / streamlining of language use when you have twelve year olds who start picking words off a list to write their homework, and in normal use resort to an even more extreme sort of text language than now.

I have just forcibly restrained myself from launching my laptop out the window like a frisbee. I'm doing a presentation, and for some reason I can only change the highlighting colour for some of the boxes in my flow chart. No explanation, no keyphrases to help me search. Just "Nope. Ahuh. some autoformat feature is preventing you from changing that."

Give me back control over my bloody programs you sons of ****es! I do not require my food pre-chewed, my nose blown, or my **** wiped. Leave me the **** alone to get on with my work!

-Elwood Blues