If you use Internet Explorer...

SteveThaiBinh

How does the exploit happen? Does some piece of malware need to be installed on your pc first and then when you log in at a website you can lose info? Or does the website itself get hacked and nothing needs to get installed to you pc to make you vulnerable?

The latter would seem worse than the former.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

How does the exploit happen? Does some piece of malware need to be installed on your pc first and then when you log in at a website you can lose info? Or does the website itself get hacked and nothing needs to get installed to you pc to make you vulnerable?

If I understand correctly, the site only needs to be infected for the exploit to work - you need only use an unpatched version of IE 7 or older. Anyways, there's a patch out according to the BBC.

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

Surely diversity is key. You want to be using whichever browser is used by the least number of people. IE is targetted because of its market share, not because it's some weedy stripling.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Surely diversity is key. You want to be using whichever browser is used by the least number of people. IE is targetted because of its market share, not because it's some weedy stripling.

Sort of.

Except it's actually targeted for both reasons: it's the biggest and the least secure. Especially for IE6 and 7 (and 5 is a joke).

It's like people say Macs and Linux can't get viruses. Well they can, but it's a heck of a lot more difficult even ignoring market share. Why? Because they're designed differently. Chrome's sandbox model is a simple example of how you can design something to be more secure by default.

But security isn't the only reason you'd want to leave IE; it's also the slowest browser (the next slowest browser is twice as fast), and has the worst plugin support. In fact, IE's plugin system (if you could call it that) is one of those reasons it's insecure. And it's got the worst rendering and standards support... but hey, I could go on all day. Point is, IE isn't a wise choice. It's fine to try and defend it and all, but there's really nothing to defend, IMHO.

I'd just like to take this moment to remind everyone that Chrome is awesome and you should use it.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

I used Firefox for a while a few years ago. But it crashed a lot for me and seemed to be less than compatible with a significant number of web sites. So I went back to IE. But that was that was a while ago. Maybe non-IE browsers are a more generally compatible and stable application now? I'm not really interested in making an ideological statement with my choice of web browser; I just want one that works and doesn't crash very often. I'm currently using IE 6 and it does crash from time to time, although mostly its never clear if it is the fault of the browser or the fault of the web page itself.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

CrashGirl, it isn't Firefox that isn't compatible. It's IE. Especially IE6. The problem is, due to marketshare a lot of sites focus on IE (that renders pages wrong) and ignores the correct way of doing things.

As IE6 dwindles (really, there is no reason not to upgrade to IE7) more and more sites will chose to ignore it, because it's a major hassle to make things work for both IE6 and Firefox.

Even Microsoft has recognized that their way was the faulty one and IE7 is much more in line with Firefox.

(as a web developer by profession, I am swearing a lot about people who haven't upgraded from IE6, they are adding hours and hours of work to my burden on a frequent basis)

Edit: And yeah, FF basically never crashes for me, no more than any version of IE anyway.

Edited by Spider