The UK One Step Closer To Ingsoc

Humodour

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/10/03/ri...ion_keys_power/

Now I know that in and of itself, this isn't such a major matter (well, OK, it is). However, what worries me is that it's the UK passing this. They keep moving further and further towards something I do not think I like.

And with Sweden's recent disregard for privacy, it would seem there is a growing trend in the West towards governments giving themselves ever more power all in the name of 'protecting citizens'.

still babysteps, but we are getting there.. hopefully we'll see a widespread counter-reaction to these laws in the future (from either the population or polititians who want votes, from the segment of the people against such things), before it's too late.

Fortune favors the bald.

Erm.... detention without trial for 48 days, anyone? Now that is an absolute disgrace. We are now relying on the Lords to throw it back at the Commons. Democracy defended best by the undemocratic.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

This is regarding to already ongoing investigations that have previously been authorized by the Judicial authority, right?

I don't see the problem.

I don't doubt that we face big problems investigting pan continental conspiracies. However, some things you just don't do. I mean, the cops themselves have said they didn't ask for these powers. A former head of MI5 said she thought it was a mistake.

Bottom line is you can't ahve a state calling itself democratic where its own citizens can be held without any official charge or trial for such a long period of time.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

No, no. I was referring to the decryption thing. I didn't know about that 48-day (at first I read 48 HOUR, wtf?) thing. That's pretty effin extreme.

Well, I agree that the decrypt thing is a lot less alarming.

-Elwood Blues