Editing BG2 character classes?

Arkan

I wanted to play an anti paladin, but the 'dispel on every melee hit' aspect seemed way overpowered. Is there an easy way to remove this effect? Probably not :wacko:

Edit: So, of course this is a mod...

Edited by Arkan

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

You should be able to do it with Near Infinity. All that would involve is editing the 2da file that assigns abilities to the kit. If you are using Tactics' Anti-paladin, the file is WWANTI.2DA, and the string you'd need to remove is "AP_WWANTI", in row 1.

I think. I haven't done it myself since I don't have that kit installed, but that's the melee effect that applies a dispel on every hit. Try it and see how it goes. :)

Of course, you could just create a character with that class, and remove the flag from under the "affects" tab with Shadowkeeper, but that may or may not work, if those are updated at level up.

If the dispel power is changed during level up, then the affect would return every level up, I think, if you use rn's second workaround. The Near Infinity solution is a bit more technical if you are scared of code, but there shouldn't be a problem there.

Dispel with every melee hit, huh? Certainly munch.

My guess is they added that to counterbalance Carsomyr's dispel on hit ability, since Anti-paladins can't use it, and the Unholy Reaver in the game is just a plain +5 greatsword. It would have made much more sense to update the Unholy Reaver, though.

You should be able to do it with Near Infinity. All that would involve is editing the 2da file that assigns abilities to the kit. If you are using Tactics' Anti-paladin, the file is WWANTI.2DA, and the string you'd need to remove is "AP_WWANTI", in row 1.

I think. I haven't done it myself since I don't have that kit installed, but that's the melee effect that applies a dispel on every hit. Try it and see how it goes. :)

Of course, you could just create a character with that class, and remove the flag from under the "affects" tab with Shadowkeeper, but that may or may not work, if those are updated at level up.

Thanks, n00b. If I can just edit it in Shadowkeeper, which would be much easier since I don't have NI right now, I'll go that route and just remember to do it with every level up. Is it the same string under effefcts in SK?

And yeah, it was probably done to offset the effects of no Carsomyr, but that's just unnecessary. MAYBE if it were dispel on hit at level 20 or something...or yeah, just fix the unholy reaver.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta