What performance boost is possible?

I currently have a notebook with the following specs:

Acer Aspire 1694WLMi

Intel Pentium M processor 760 (2.0 GHz, 533 MHz FSB, 2 MB L2 Cache)

15.4" WXGA CrystalBrite TFT LCD (Maximum resolution: 1280x800 pixels, 32-bit color)

ATI MOBILITY RADEON X700 PCI Express with 128 MB VRAM

100GB HDD

Slot-loading DVD-Dual (DVD Burner, supports DVD+R Double Layer/DVD+-RW)

2 GB DDR2 (supports dual-channel)

802.11b/g wireless LAN

Bluetooth

The notebook was bought more than two years ago for a price of about $1500. I feel it is still a good laptop computer, but it has experienced heavy use and is starting to show various wear and tear effects (broken cooling fan [it's proving very difficult to find a replacement], sound problems, touchpad problems, etcetera) . This has left me at least wondering about what kind of performance boost could I expect if I were to spend $1500 on a notebook computer today. Perhaps some of you computing whizes could help answer that for me?

Note, that it would have to be a notebook computer. I should realistically avoid desktops, because I move relatively frequently and when I move I move 'on the light' - no cargo separate from what I take with me as luggage.

the core duo is not that much different than the M-class processors, but the core2 IS different. die shrink, more efficient and lower power. core2 uses the core microarchitecture which is different than the M-class processor core, though it can be argued that the former evolved from the latter (same design group developed the core architecture and the M-class processor). core2s are also 64-bit, while the M-classes are not.

going from an M 760 to even a mid-range core2 you'll probably notice a rather significant performance jump, and a cooler laptop to boot. of course, i've got a dual-core turion (AMD) in my laptop and it performs about as well as mid-to-low end core2s from what i understand. i'm probably more limited by the integrated graphics than anything, but at 12", i'm not expecting to play any graphics intensive games anyway. it's a portable laptop for doing work, not play (it only weighs 4 lbs., which makes it easy to carry around). on my desktop at home, i've got an E6600 (or is it a 6700... can't recall) and it is smoking fast. also got an 8800 GTS and 4 GB of mammaries, which helps, though i need to upgrade to a 64-bit OS to take advantage of all the mammaries (winders XP only recognizes about 3 GB).

wiki has a pretty good writeup of the core2 and its evolution.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

I have a low Ghz Core 2 Duo in my laptop and, with 2GB RAM and a 8600M, I can play the Orange Box games at 40-60 fps. The laptop was under $800, so if you might want to consider something similar - and you can always upgrade the CPU later if you need to.

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

the core duo is not that much different than the M-class processors, but the core2 IS different. die shrink, more efficient and lower power. core2 uses the core microarchitecture which is different than the M-class processor core, though it can be argued that the former evolved from the latter (same design group developed the core architecture and the M-class processor). core2s are also 64-bit, while the M-classes are not.

going from an M 760 to even a mid-range core2 you'll probably notice a rather significant performance jump, and a cooler laptop to boot. of course, i've got a dual-core turion (AMD) in my laptop and it performs about as well as mid-to-low end core2s from what i understand. i'm probably more limited by the integrated graphics than anything, but at 12", i'm not expecting to play any graphics intensive games anyway. it's a portable laptop for doing work, not play (it only weighs 4 lbs., which makes it easy to carry around). on my desktop at home, i've got an E6600 (or is it a 6700... can't recall) and it is smoking fast. also got an 8800 GTS and 4 GB of mammaries, which helps, though i need to upgrade to a 64-bit OS to take advantage of all the mammaries (winders XP only recognizes about 3 GB).

wiki has a pretty good writeup of the core2 and its evolution.

Thanks for the rundown. It seems that a boost in performance would be significant.

I have a low Ghz Core 2 Duo in my laptop and, with 2GB RAM and a 8600M, I can play the Orange Box games at 40-60 fps. The laptop was under $800, so if you might want to consider something similar - and you can always upgrade the CPU later if you need to.

Are processors on latpops upgradeable? If so, isn't it pretty expensinve to do so?

To be honest, even my current setup seems adequate to play the games I enjoy. The main reason I am even pondering the notion of replacing my current notebook is the wear and tear. Of course, once if I will be getting a new laptop, I would like to make sure that it can fulfill its function as both a work-machine and a gaming-machine for at least 2.5 years and hopefully more.

The urgency of the upgrade of my laptop will depend on whether I can get the requisite replacement parts, especially a cooling fan, for my current machine. I am cautiously optimistic, but provisionally need to think about what I could buy for about $1500 if it does not pan out.

Are processors on latpops upgradeable? If so, isn't it pretty expensinve to do so?

Unless the CPU is soldered into the motherboard, it should be able to be upgraded - and you can find some nice deals out there. It helps that the C2D I have is the newer generation, so the socket it uses is the same as higher clocked CPUs (and the board itself can take up to a 2.4 or 2.6 C2D - I would, of course, look up the specs before upgrading).

I am cautiously optimistic, but provisionally need to think about what I could buy for about $1500 if it does not pan out.

I went with a Vostro 1500 from Dell, and I could not find a better deal out there at the time. You might want to look at the Vostro 1700, it is a 17" rather than a 15", but you can get a nice little laptop that can also game for under $900 if you wanted to save some money for, say, a desktop gaming PC.

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

Of course, once if I will be getting a new laptop, I would like to make sure that it can fulfill its function as both a work-machine and a gaming-machine for at least 2.5 years and hopefully more.

given this constraint, i would opt for as much bang for the buck as possible. it's easy to say that you don't want to put forth the money now (for whatever reason), but if you want something to last for that length of time, you might as well spend it now rather than dole it out repeatedly upgrading over the next few years. of course, with PC-related technology changing so rapidly, it's always a difficult trade. i end up swapping out my desktop components about once every 12-18 months, though this is driven by games more than anything (well, that and i like building PCs). my latest was a complete overhaul changing everything except the case (got an antec server tower). my wife got most of the old PC, with some scattered elements going into my son's machine (which the little turd never uses, he's always on mommy's machine, grrr...)

taks

comrade taks... just because.

Unless the CPU is soldered into the motherboard, it should be able to be upgraded - and you can find some nice deals out there. It helps that the C2D I have is the newer generation, so the socket it uses is the same as higher clocked CPUs (and the board itself can take up to a 2.4 or 2.6 C2D - I would, of course, look up the specs before upgrading).

I didn't know that. I assumed that once I buy a notebook, I am pretty much stuck with what I have (apart from RAM and HDD).

I am cautiously optimistic, but provisionally need to think about what I could buy for about $1500 if it does not pan out.

I went with a Vostro 1500 from Dell, and I could not find a better deal out there at the time. You might want to look at the Vostro 1700, it is a 17" rather than a 15", but you can get a nice little laptop that can also game for under $900 if you wanted to save some money for, say, a desktop gaming PC.

I am not really in a position to utilize a desktop at the moment, due to the fact that I move frequently and expect to move again in the near future.

Of course, once if I will be getting a new laptop, I would like to make sure that it can fulfill its function as both a work-machine and a gaming-machine for at least 2.5 years and hopefully more.

given this constraint, i would opt for as much bang for the buck as possible. it's easy to say that you don't want to put forth the money now (for whatever reason), but if you want something to last for that length of time, you might as well spend it now rather than dole it out repeatedly upgrading over the next few years. of course, with PC-related technology changing so rapidly, it's always a difficult trade. i end up swapping out my desktop components about once every 12-18 months, though this is driven by games more than anything (well, that and i like building PCs). my latest was a complete overhaul changing everything except the case (got an antec server tower). my wife got most of the old PC, with some scattered elements going into my son's machine (which the little turd never uses, he's always on mommy's machine, grrr...)

Yes, if I do upgrade, I will of course try to get the best possible deal. It bears noting, however, that the types of games I enjoy are not necessarily the 'pushing the graphical boundaries' types of games - I am basically saying that I only very rarely play shooters and these tend to be the most demanding on the hardware. CRPGs can usually get by with slightly weaker hardware.

I am not really in a position to utilize a desktop at the moment, due to the fact that I move frequently and expect to move again in the near future.

Ok, if you were to get a notebook I would look at either the Vostros from Dell or one of the two notebooks from Alienware - although the XPS systems might be another option. I've had no problems with either of those brands in the past.

-Hurlshot

Ok, if you were to get a notebook I would look at either the Vostros from Dell or one of the two notebooks from Alienware - although the XPS systems might be another option. I've had no problems with either of those brands in the past.

I don't know what a Vostros is, but I checked out the Dell website and some of the deals for notebooks were pretty good. I am impressed with how far technology has advanced over the past 2+ years and how much cheaper it has gotten.

The Vostro is one of the Small Business models, although you can buy them even if you do not have a small business. The Vostro section of the Dell Website. :p

Thanks - I automatically went to the Home computer section and missed the fact that it could be in the business section. I am rather impressed by the prices - the value for money seems to be pretty good.

Yeah, that's why I got mine - I had a limited amount of funds (about $950) and wanted to get the best deal possible, and the Vostro 1500 was the best deal from a reputable dealer at the time (It still might be the best deal in the $700-$900 price range).

-Hurlshot