I would like to see a Steampunk RPG

vellen

Arcanum ruled. I loved that game. The only thing I was disappointed with was the animations. Come on, the running animation just makes you laugh.

Otherwise, your description sounds like it would make for a good game.

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

Arcanum was pretty good but it had some balance issues. Tech was seriously underpowered compared to magick, firearms were horribly underpowered compared to everything else, melee/dodge was the both the easiest build and the most powerful by far, rendering all other combat options/build unneccessary,

Tech was underpowered compared to magick? Maybe seen as a whole, but the Explosives skill tree and automatons still made a feasible basis for a character build. You are absolutely wrong that Melee/dodge was the most powerful build by far though. There are both more powerful early-game builds and more powerful late-game builds... For example, take the charismatic leader/healer as an example of the latter. Six companions (not counting Dog) is a lot compared to one or two companions.

Also, any purely melee-oriented build is also dangerously reliant on healing from potions or spells.

Basically, there are a lot of different very powerful builds in the game, and although many of the Tech and Magick disciplines are worthless (you might count firearms in as well... although the best firearms are definitely worth it) no single one is, on normal character levels, "by far" more powerful than any other.

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

You got less xp for damage caused by JNPCs, one high-end weapon used 6-8 bullets/shot could be fired twice (by my character) while potentially only doing 3 times the damage of the elephant pistol, which used only one bullet and could be fired 4-5 times. I hear the disintegrate spell was enough to kill everything in your wake. You didn't get loot, but didn't need it either.

Six companions (not counting Dog) is a lot compared to one or two companions.

Yes, but they were completely moronic and mostly efficient as a distraction rather than a competent fighting force.

Besides, you had enough skill points to go around that you didn't have to be just a meleer, you could have both high charisma AND high melee.

Also, the xp. Fighting yourself, as opposed to companions, led to more xp and thus a stronger character earlier. I suppose the charisma character caught up eventually when you capped, but by that time it didn't matter, you were pretty much unstoppable anyway.

You got less xp for damage caused by JNPCs, one high-end weapon used 6-8 bullets/shot could be fired twice (by my character) while potentially only doing 3 times the damage of the elephant pistol, which used only one bullet and could be fired 4-5 times. I hear the disintegrate spell was enough to kill everything in your wake. You didn't get loot, but didn't need it either.

There is no "elephant pistol" in the game. Are you perhaps referring to the elephant rifle?

Anyway, with high- end guns I meant weapons such as Droch's warbringer and the Tesla rifle. You should try these out the next time you replay Arcanum :)

Yes, but they were completely moronic and mostly efficient as a distraction rather than a competent fighting force.

Of course the AI was crap but how could you call a six-follower party with Sogg, Chukka and healers anything else than a "competent fighting force"?

Besides, you had enough skill points to go around that you didn't have to be just a meleer, you could have both high charisma AND high melee.

At high levels you could be both an archmage, master of Melee and Dodge and have high charisma. My personal opinion is that it's pretty useless do discuss which build is the better at these levels since virtually no feasible build will have any problems at all with any encounter.

There is no "elephant pistol" in the game. Are you perhaps referring to the elephant rifle?

Anyway, with high- end guns I meant weapons such as Droch's warbringer and the Tesla rifle. You should try these out the next time you replay Arcanum :rolleyes:

Oops, I meant the hand cannon. I think I gave the tesla rifle a look. 8 or 10 bullets/shot IIRC?