Question about getting new Computer

qaz156

So I'm finally getting a new computer. Usually I'm not the type to wait around for new technology, but since I get a computer about once every 5 years, something finally made me think twice about purchasing now: 3 way SLI. Although the first board offered (reviewed at anandtech) isn't really a step up from the 2 way SLI boards, soon they will be releasing better boards sometime in the next year. The reason why I'd want one is to be able to upgrade my cards in the future to maximize the gaming life of the pc (with this initial purchase I"d prolly get just a single 8800 GT).

One reason to wait for proper 3 way boards is because I one day want to be able to play crysis. And I'm afraid that if I don't, then soon, with games like Crysis, I won't be able to play them except at low settings. What do you all think?

"To be, or not to be a real RPG, that is the question.

Whether tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows

or outrageous action... or by taking up arms against a sea of crap and by opposing: end them."

Agreed. This is where the tech savvy people hang out.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

3-Way SLI is only suited for the guy who has to have the very greatest at the very moment. You don't seem like that kind of person, since you only upgrade every 5 years. You're also going to need a 1.2KW PSU and you're going to have to sacrifice space for a nice sound card. Also, an 8800 GT is also not currently supported in nvidia's 3-way SLI plans (unless theres some news I havent heard yet).

What you should be concerned about is making sure there's support for Nvidia's next high end card, since one or two of those may blow away 3-Way SLI.

I'm also buy a new rig after 5-6 years. The last pc i bought is when WinXP just being released, and just last month i build my latest system.

On your case unless you're rich, SLI isn't a good value investment. For now either get the G92 8800GT 512MB or GTS version (cooler and queiter); or if you willing to wait for next month, nVidia would probably releasing the D8E (dual G92 in one card), or in April we would see the true next generation card G100 (Gefore 8900).

Edited by Phoenix

Bok is correct.

Don't buy SLI mobo and plan to upgrade to a new video card later because-

a: a single next generation card could blow 2 Cards in SLI mode out of the water.

b: buying one later when the next series is already out wastes energy.

c: cost, you could buy a top of the line graphic card each generation and still be high end.

Always outnumbered, never out gunned!

Unreal Tournament 2004 Handle:Enlight_2.0

Myspace Website!

My rig

thanks everyone. That does help.

have any of you tried to play crysis?

"To be, or not to be a real RPG, that is the question.

Whether tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows

or outrageous action... or by taking up arms against a sea of crap and by opposing: end them."

I played on G92 8800GTS (at 1680x1050), and Crysis could gets average 20fps. You'll feel the slowdown in heavy fight scenes although nothing serious. But i'm coming from using old pc for years which playing games means always seeing slideshows. Anyhow even with 8800GTX/Ultra SLI - at least from some tech sites review, Crysis doesn't perform as smooth as butter either. Maybe it's the SLI driver problems or optimization issues. Hell, most games probably unable to take advantage of SLI system well. I believe only the next generation card (9800) could handle Crysis well on very high resolutions.

I played with my 7900GTX and i was able to play with everything at Medium + high texture and model detail, and get decent FPS.

I would get a top-of-the-line Geforce9800 now that theyre being released in february. SLi is IMO only useful if you're running a display with extremely high resolution like 2500x1600.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "