My Dirty Little Secret

kumquatq3

Here it is: I've never play Deus Ex, there, I said it.

So I just borrowed a copy of the Game of the Year addition and installed it on my computer, it detects my card and installs fine, problem is that elements of the game run too fast, literally. My character clearly is moving faster than he should, especially noticeable when running or jumping. However, other elements, like spoken dialog seem to be fine. I'm assuming it's a 98 to XP issue, and oddly, I'm having a hard time finding a I"googled" solution. Ideas?

XP

7600GT

2gigs Ram

AMD 3800+

EDIT: I know I've been gone, but why the hell am I a "arch-mage" now? Do I get a hat or something?

Edited by kumquatq3

First of all: I hate you and your family and your dog for not playing Deus Ex until now.

Second: it might be a timing problem with your AMD CPU. I'm not sure if you have a dual core processor, but some games experience problems with AMD's dual core timings. There's some sort of patch you can download to try and fix it:

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/Techni...1_13118,00.html

(It's the AMD Dual-Core Optimizer link)

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Try using the "slomo" cheat command.

In your user.ini file, assign a key to the talk command. Use that key in the game, and then type the following: "set DeusEx.JCDentonMale bCheatsEnabled True". This enables cheats in the game.

Now, press the talk key again, and play around with the slomo command (like for example, "slomo 0.5") until you get a reasonable speed.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

kumquat!!! I dunno. I don't have it so it must be because you've got so many posts?

Anyhoo:

http://forums.obsidianent.com/index.php?showtopic=39510

I've also heard this:

You are using a laptop with Speedstep. Go into your power profile and turn it to desktop.

EDIT: Turn it to "Home/Office Desk"

Can you be a little more specific?

For example, the game started off running normally. When you say it began to run slowly, are you talking about a frame rate dip, or something exactly opposite to the "too fast" problem?

Maybe try turning speedstep off in the BIOS?

EDIT: Also, try a setting called "Always On" in the power profiles.

Further information: http://www.gamerswithjobs.com/node/19023

Edited by Krezack

^ it's a desktopt

@mkreku: It's not a dual core. Also, my family would be shamed by your post, but seeing as they stop taking my calls as a result of my little secret, they won't ever know.

@Pidesco: So Id' have to do that everytime I gather? I'll give it a go, but I'm kinda hoping there is an easier way.

Anywho, how have you guys been?

Look what I found. Try this instead.

I'm fine, only slightly oranger.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I'll give that a whirl, sounds promising enough

Ah, the old moderator position. How's that working out? Is Fio still in charge? (you should open up the "secret forum" bug again! Even tho you in no way have that power!)

Mostly anything you can type in the chat console can also go in the ini file. When it's in the ini file it's done once and is then over. I dunno why Tel Aviv's reverted each time, but you should try typing slomo or gamespeed into the ini file as directed.

Sow what've you been up to kumquat? You should join us on the IRC channel we made. :)

Mostly anything you can type in the chat console can also go in the ini file. When it's in the ini file it's done once and is then over. I dunno why Tel Aviv's reverted each time, but you should try typing slomo or gamespeed into the ini file as directed.

Sow what've you been up to kumquat? You should join us on the IRC channel we made. :)

thxs, I'll try giving the IRC (which I think I have to install)

I'm not here to help you fix it, but I've never played Deus Ex, BG1 or 2, Fallout 1 or 2, NWN (any of them) or anything like that.

I assume you like the KotOR series then?

Eh, even those two I've only played through once each.

Ok, then the curious part of me must ask, why a forum for a video company that makes RPGs?

Edited by kumquatq3

I'm not here to help you fix it, but I've never played Deus Ex, BG1 or 2, Fallout 1 or 2, NWN (any of them) or anything like that.

I assume you like the KotOR series then?

Eh, even those two I've only played through once each.

Ok, then the curious part of me must ask, why a forum for a video company that makes RPGs?

'Cause he likes a forum with some junk in the trunk.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

PS, it works (at least, movement "seems" normal to me), but like the other guy, it is somehow deleting itself when I exit the game. So I have to do it every time I want to play, but, apparently it's supposed to be worth it, so I'll though it out. Man, I bet those kids in third world countries don't have problems like this.