desktop grahics on a budget

Walsingham

My existing graphics card is malfunctioning, and I'm thinking about simply upgrading rather than trying to fix it. I curently have a nvidia 7900GT. I've been looking around and can't make up my mind where to go. An 8800 is way outside my price range. I can 'afford' around

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

That budget is very harsh. The best you can get out of the current generation for that price is a 8600GT. But you'd probably suffer a performance hit by making that purchase. A GTS would be slightly better, but it would cost you around

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Thanks for the advice. I'll see what I can do about getting some extra cash to spend.

By the way, I have two card slots on my motherboard. If I upgrade and later find my original card ust needed some more peanut butter or something can I 'dual weild' them together?

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

You have to have equal cards to be able to "dual wield" them.

Heja Sverige!!

What would be the advantages to dual weilding? I'm prejudiced against it on grounds of 'certain' drow.

-Elwood Blues

He already owns a 7900GT and probably doesn't want a slower one to replace it :thumbsup:

Walsingham: if you consider the "dual wielding" way, make sure your mainboard is certified for either SLI (--> nVidia cards) or Crossfire (--> ATI cards), and then buy a card that actually supports this (not all do, especially if you're on tight budget).

Edited by samm

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

I really appreciate all your help, gentlemen. :( As for supporting dual weilding, the PC was offerred by Novatech as being two card capable with the 7900GT. But I'll double check. I think on balance I'm going to go for a 7900GT again. At least I know what to expect.

Wait. Now I'm really confused. I can see 8800GTs going for teh same as 7900Gts

-Elwood Blues

If your willing to pay for it, then definitely go for the 8800GT. It's awesome.

Heja Sverige!!

Well, two things. Firstly, as I say, it's the same freaking price as the 7900, so price isn't the key question. Secondly, and more importantly, what about power and cooling for the 8800? Thirdly, (noone expects) I don't really have a very large or expensive monitor so the 8800 could be massive overkill.

-Elwood Blues

What's your power supply? And, what about the cooling?

As for the monitor, that of course depends on the games you play and whether you want to keep on playing new titles in the years to come. If you want to play Crysis, for example, you can use all the power you can get, regardless of the screen size. I have a 17" CRT myself, and I wouldn't mind having an 8800GT. The cardinal rule of PC gaming is that given enough time nothing is ever overkill.

Heja Sverige!!

I hadn't considered Radeon. I have excessive brand loyalty, so I'll think about it now. How does the 3850 compare with my existing 7900GT?

And where do I find the power rating on the PC?

And where do babies come from?

-Elwood Blues

I believe it's better.

On the power supply.

I'd tell you, but it's kind of technical.

Heja Sverige!!

I had a friend around todaya nd he's been enormously helpful. We are not really sure it is the graphics, and think it may be the memory transfer thingy on the motherboard. But I've got a nvidia 7300 in at present so at least I can use the internt. He's taken my card in return and is going to try it out.

-Elwood Blues

I had a friend around todaya nd he's been enormously helpful. We are not really sure it is the graphics, and think it may be the memory transfer thingy on the motherboard. But I've got a nvidia 7300 in at present so at least I can use the internt. He's taken my card in return and is going to try it out.

Memory transfer thingy on the motherboard? So its the PCIE, yet your still able to use a 7300 on it? Did a capacitator poop on you? Does your case get too hot? Is it on a surge protector? Do you keep your case clean? What name brand so i know never to get it.

Always outnumbered, never out gunned!

Unreal Tournament 2004 Handle:Enlight_2.0

Myspace Website!

My rig

I've got a lovely shiny thermaltake case, which is kept sparkly clean, and on a surge protector. I guess it must have just been the graphics card, as the 7300 is good as gold.

Anyway, fingers crossed I think I may have a big new client in the works, and if that comes through I can just buy a new damn PC! Woooo! *Does the dance of money*

-Elwood Blues