Prelude to Darkness - underrated role-playing

Jora

This is one of those games that never got the attention it deserves. Or maybe it did because it's a really unpolished product (I've had my game freeze and crash more times than I can count). However, while it's in the same "flawed gem" category as Arcanum or Sith Lords, the difference between them is that PtD has practically no questionable design decisions. Everything from the skill-based character development system (which is a combination of point allocation and learn-by-use mechanics) to the world and NPC design is well thought out.

pre1zg6.th.jpg

The world is open for exploration from the very beginning. Each location (town or city) has quests with different skill requirements, so you can wander around the Valley, doing tasks here and there. You don't get experience by defeating enemies but by solving quests and using your skills. Many quests have multiple ways to handle them. For instance, you can use Literacy & Lore to recite a poem or Music to sing a song to inspire a depressed person.

pre4lm7.th.jpg

The story is about a peaceful valley where two races of humans, the River people and the Children of the Flame, live together. The Children are the upper class (politicians, land owners, scholars) while the River folk are happy to take the working man's role. Then a group called the Rebellion started to agitate the River people against the Flame, and that's when a man named the Watcher hires you, three secret agents, to find out what's going on and possibly infiltrate the Rebellion...

pre3lm4.th.jpg

Even though the storyline is linear, there are a few ways to follow it. You're constantly offered choices with consequences.

But remember, there's a big chance of lots of technical difficulties. If you can cope with them, Prelude has an incredible RPG experience for you.

pre2fh4.jpg

You can get the latest version from Megaupload

The official site has lots of info as well as a detailed walkthrough:

http://www.zero-sum.com/

IT'S FREEWARE SO WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR ??

Edited by Jora

I scoff at technical problems!

SCOFF!

What I need to know is how well does the game support the sneaking lying murdering backstabbing jerk style of gameplay?

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

What I need to know is how well does the game support the sneaking lying murdering backstabbing jerk style of gameplay?

Well, you can do many bad deeds, and there's an evil path in the storyline (featuring trust and betrayal), so I'd say quite well. You can betray the whole Valley, in fact. There are three thieving skills: stealth, tinker and pick pocket.

Edited by Jora

I see no support for widescreen or windowed play.

You won't be able to try it then? :wub:

Something I should've mentioned in the first post:

The world is very detailed and lively. Taverns are empty during the days but begin to draw people as the night approaches. That's a good time to sing them a song to earn money. If you don't like your hair, you can hae it cut in the Citadel's barber shop. The Barrier Fortress has tons of interesting people that are part of a complex series of quests. There's an orator standing in the forum but at night he can be found at the Kaliyan Inn where he can train your Speech skill for a price.

The game is heavily influenced by Fallout and Darklands. It shows. PtD plays a lot like Arcanum or Baldur's Gate 2.

I've tried it. It just gets really wonky in the unsupported windowed mode. I mean REALLY wonky. Menu screen has a delay for mouse movement and when dialogue boxes appear I can't move my mouse outside of them. I might give it a try in fullscreen, though.