Crash Issues

So I recently got KOTOR2. I patched it, and started up the game. Now, I already had played KOTOR so i knew my comp met min req at least.

I start up the game, make a new character and proceed to click play. Now, as soon as the opening movie finishes/skipped, the game doesnt so much crash as freeze up. I can hear the sounds, but the screen is still black. And i cant alt tab out quickly either.

I seem to remember a friend of mine experiencing the exact same problem. I don't know what he did to fix it, though. Isn't there something about KotOR2 running best with NVIDIA graphics cards, especially GeForce?

Neo: "I know kung fu."

Morpheus: "Show me."

- Neo and Morpheus, The Matrix

Exile: "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."

- The Exile, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords

___________ ____________________________________

|_|____|_|||_|____________________________________| <- My turquoise lightsaber - DO NOT TOUCH!

Kot0R doesn't like Intel chipsets for some reason, so that's probably the issue...

Edit: Are you running Vista?

Edited by Deadly_Nightshade

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

I suspect that's the problem, so try this:

Intel Chipsets:

After finishing the game with a light sided finish, I wanted to do a Dark Sided run through. I have cheap laptop like I mentioned before so I decided to do the Dark Sided profile on that laptop. Since my chipset, which is an Intel 945GM absolutely sucks, I couldn't run the game without any tweaking.

First I downloaded the 1.0b patch, then got 3D-Analyze (DL here). Open up 3DA, click select, find your TSL executable, and open it. Then in the "Hardware Limits (cap bits)" box, check off "emulate HW TnL caps." Click Run and you should be good to go! I haven't tried any graphics settings other than the lowest ones so far.

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

If you try running older games on an AMD dual core processor, you need to run the "AMD Dual Core Optimizer." Is there something similar for Intel dual core processors? Have you installed the latest driver for your CPU?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having the same problem...after the initial cinematic and loading screen, the screen goes dark, though music still plays. Afterwords, it crashes. I've got an Intel 915 GM chipset, and I'm able to run the original KOTOR just fine. I tried the 3d - analyze thing, but it crashes and displays the message "missing mss32.dll" or something to that effect. Any solutions would be much appreciated....

Try reinstalling your graphics drivers, might help. You could also try uninstalling then reinstalling the game-as I keep pointing out the saved games are not deleted during uninstall unless you tell the program to do so. As a last resort try installing windows again-this always makes people wary, but you can run the windows install program from windows and it will just over write the basic files without deleting anything other than the old windows files. (Windows is designed so you can upgrade from an earler version by installing over the older OS, the same program allows you to overwrite even if its the same version). Word of caution-although windows shouldn't remove anything from your PC such as programs, and it should automatically detect and install all the relevent drivers, web links etc it can sometimes do strange things for no reason. Therefore before you even think of doing this make sure you have all your passwords written down, backups and disks for drivers/internet etc before you start.

• 6 months later...
So I recently got KOTOR2. I patched it, and started up the game. Now, I already had played KOTOR so i knew my comp met min req at least.

I start up the game, make a new character and proceed to click play. Now, as soon as the opening movie finishes/skipped, the game doesnt so much crash as freeze up. I can hear the sounds, but the screen is still black. And i cant alt tab out quickly either.

I'm having the same problem...after the initial cinematic and loading screen, the screen goes dark, though music still plays. Afterwords, it crashes. I've got an Intel 915 GM chipset, and I'm able to run the original KOTOR just fine. I tried the 3d - analyze thing, but it crashes and displays the message "missing mss32.dll" or something to that effect. Any solutions would be much appreciated....

I'm having the exact same problem as you guys except with the Intel 965GM, has anyone with an Intel chipset been able to get KOTOR2 to work?

Edited by Agent_J