NZ Gaming Industry - Entry Level

Not sure if anyone can help me on this.

I'm dead keen on joining the gaming industry as a med-term goal for my career. But not quite sure what to target in the short-term to help achieve that goal. I'm a huge fan of RPG games in particular (it was KOTORII that pointed me to these forums initially) and I'd love to be a part of making something like that.

I'm currently working in the IT Support industry while I complete my Comp-Sci degree extramurally.

I was wondering if someone could give me a couple of pointers in regards to:

- where should I set my sights at this stage? My programming skills in themselves are still in the early stages, but that will build in the next couple of years as I keep learning; I wouldn't know where to start in terms of learning how to mod games etc, and my limited finances (I'm married and saving for a house...) means I can't really afford a decent quality computer or games or modding tools to play with. Any tips?

- does anyone know of where I could go in New Zealand to get an entry-level job of some kind in the gaming industry, does Obsidian have a sister company of subsidary in NZ?

In short - I want to do it, I'm sure I'll be able to learn the skills to do it, I'm just not sure how to go about it.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Edited by pantherus

"Definition: 'Love' is making a shot to the knees of a target 120 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope.

Statement: This definition, I am told, is subject to interpretation. Obviously, love is a matter of odds. Not many meatbags could make such a shot, and fewer would derive love from it. Yet for me, love is knowing your target, putting them in your targeting reticle, and together, achieving a singular purpose, against statistically long odds." - HK-47

"BEEP BEEP BOOP!" - T3-M4

"Rawararr!!" - Zaalbar/Hanharr/...pretty much all Wookies...

I'm in New Zealand as well and it's pretty much not the best place to go looking for a video game job. It's possible I believe - but for example, if you wanted to jump in and start making RPGs? It'd be very hard to find somewhere. If you were in US or even Europe you could at least knock ono the door to become an intern to begin with, or QA, but here... well, pretty hard. I guess somebody somewhere is making those Barbie Gameboy Advance games.

The others will be able to tell you more about the first Q.

I'm in New Zealand as well and it's pretty much not the best place to go looking for a video game job. It's possible I believe - but for example, if you wanted to jump in and start making RPGs? It'd be very hard to find somewhere. If you were in US or even Europe you could at least knock ono the door to become an intern to begin with, or QA, but here... well, pretty hard. I guess somebody somewhere is making those Barbie Gameboy Advance games.

The others will be able to tell you more about the first Q.

Joy - mayhaps a move across the Tasman is required... :ermm:

"Definition: 'Love' is making a shot to the knees of a target 120 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope.

Statement: This definition, I am told, is subject to interpretation. Obviously, love is a matter of odds. Not many meatbags could make such a shot, and fewer would derive love from it. Yet for me, love is knowing your target, putting them in your targeting reticle, and together, achieving a singular purpose, against statistically long odds." - HK-47

I would seriously start some modding; pick a game with a big fanbase (it doesn't matter which, really): NwN, NwN2, Oblivion, Unreal, or even Quake.

Firstly, this will give you experience designing games (level design, pacing, etc) as well as some experience working with game tools. It would be a good idea to try to team up with some other like-mindeds, and produce a whole module (the NwN community is an excellent arena for this, providing good feedback, as well). There are a zillion skills to learn and the best (only?) way to learn them is to start doing.

This is what will be of interest to prospective employers, from this part of your commercial experience (i.e. whilst you work and study). At least according to the information that developers have posted on this site. :lol:

Also, don't tell anyone about being a kiwi, because everyone thinks they are three-and-a-half feet tall and have hairy feet. :blink:"

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Do modding tools tend to come with the games (in some cases, like NwN), or is there some kinda central net-based place to get them easily?

Sounds like I'm going to have to get my A into G to get a better system to be able to run these games and mods...oh well :p

thanks for the advice - and no I'm not 3 feet tall with hairy feet; although my british co-worker keeps teasing us that we're all hobbits... :)

can't really add to what has been said already by way of advice. But it sounds to me as if your head is screwed on straight, and you know how to plan ahead soberly. That's good for you, but also good for whoever employs you. So keep your spirits up!

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

can't really add to what has been said already by way of advice. But it sounds to me as if your head is screwed on straight, and you know how to plan ahead soberly. That's good for you, but also good for whoever employs you. So keep your spirits up!

Thanks for that :p

Just a bit lost in the wind atm I guess.

Further to this:

Would it be particularly beneficial at all to have programming experience in non-gaming environments?

Australia isn't much better of a prospect: as others say, you're much much better off learning to mod while living at home, and then making the jump. It's critical that you have modding experience to be hired, bypassing the adage that you need experience to be hired, and you need to be hired to get experience.

You can easily learn modding by fooling around iwth game files yourself and looking up things online, lots and lots of experimentation. You would be best to pick a game which is reputed to be easily moddable. This is dependent upon certain characteristics.; 1/ have a toolset. NWN series is a good example. IE games are notoriously difficult to make levels for because drawing a freaking house takes +5 minutes with 3rd party tools. 2/ Game files are easily accessible. 3/ There is a vibrant, large community which already knows a lot about this and can help you. NWN1 is a really good example, really.

After you've made 2 or 3 modules in, say, NWN or whatever, and actually know how games are made and how you can tweak them - then it's time to start thinking about how you can get hired or if you want to skip country.

Thanks Tigranes - that makes a lot of sense.

Now I just need to convince my wife that it's worthwhile to buy a new PC and games ;)

Tell her you could relocate to Arkansas instead, if she prefers ...

She'd laugh in my face :ermm:

She's the inarguable boss of our marriage

Albert Einstein, when asked about marital politics, replied that "My wife and I have an understanding: I handle all the big decisions, and she handles all the other ones. I am pleased to say that, in over twenty years of marriage, we are yet to make a big decision." :wub:

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Albert Einstein, when asked about marital politics, replied that "My wife and I have an understanding: I handle all the big decisions, and she handles all the other ones. I am pleased to say that, in over twenty years of marriage, we are yet to make a big decision." :(

Nice :)

I've always like this one:

"A Husband and Wife has a fluid relationship, and the man is asked how they keep things working so well without many disagreements. The man responds 'Well, I make all the major decisions, and she makes all the minor decisions. So she decides trivial things like: where we live, what car we have, where the kids go to school, how we spend our money...that kind of stuff.' His friend then asks 'So, what do YOU decide then?' The man responds 'I make all the major decisions, like what do to about global warming, politics, that kind of stuff!'"

Anyway - thanks for the advice everybody, I've got a much better idea about where to be aiming and working at the moment. Getting a PC and gaming stuff may take a year or so to get due to finances, but it's a goal none-the-less.