Need some help with an annoying issue

Rosbjerg

recently one of my harddiscs decided to suddenly change from E: to F: and my DVD drive vice versa. This was somewhat annoying, but not something I thought hard about untill suddenly I realised that all my games stopped working. I can't even uninstall them, since the program can't locate them. I can delete them, but then I can't reinstall them, since Windows still have them in it's regristry.

I've since installed some new games, which I don't want to uninstall - so I don't want to change the harddic's location - just remove the old entries. How do I uninstall these games? is there a program that can delete in from the regristry?

- Rosbjerg

Fortune favors the bald.

What you need to do is edit the registry yourself. Tricky business if you don't know what you are doing but it is a quick operation if you do. You need to go to the Run menu and type regedit. Windows will find the program and start it up. You just need to do a search and manually delete the registries. I had that problem with Windows ME. Yeah, I know. What OS are you using, Rosbjie?

Edited by Sand

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

Open RegEdit and look for the registry codes. They are often under the name of the publisher.

Go into Edit and the drop down menu you should see "Find" then type in the name. You should find the registry. After find it, delete it.

Just keep in mind that I am not the most technical minded person and I am referencing how ME and Vista is does it and not XP, though there might be no differences.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

Easier just to change the drive letter back to what it was. All your games will then work again, without having to edit each game's registry setting. Disk Management console makes this relatively easy--locate the drive that stole the drive letter, change it to Z: or something, then put your original hard drive on its desired letter.

(Administrative Tools->Computer management->Disk Management)

Edited by kalimeeri

Yeah, I'd put back, uninstall the games you don't want anymore, then revert back to whatever drive letter assignment you want after, if applicable.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I'll try kalimeeri's option and if it, for some reason, shouldn't work - I can always delete them directly from the registry..

update:

Worked like a charm!! thanks for the feedback.. :down:

Edited by Rosbjerg

Fortune favors the bald.