Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay

A pal at my school's dormitories is gathering together a group to play and I was wondering if anyone here has any experiences of the game. Would be nice to hear, opinions, stories and the like.

Personally, I started with a initiate of Ulrich and will mostly concentrate on making him a jack of all trades. THe game is supposed to be mostly about role-playing, instead of a hack. You might wonder why we chose WHFR for that, but we are most familiar with the setting, it was readily available, and myself I adore the mishmash of high-magic dark ages and bordering-on-steampunk-renaissance-themes.

I managed to botch my character already in the creation, but I can make up for the inaccuracies, like the lack of warrior career which is a prequisite for initiates of Ulrich, with decent in-character actions.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Ive played it lots and lots, both the old edition and the second edition. Its a great setting and the ruleset is above average(combat is especially fun and gory). The bad things are:

• The magic system is broken. Since you only need to roll dice to suceed in casting a spell, you can cast them an infinite number of times. There is usually no save roll guaranteeing mages to do major damage every turn. The spells are also poorly balanced and there are too few of them to choose from, you end up with just a single attack spell which you spam again and again.
  • Unlike Call of Cthulhu, you only have 6 insanity points before your character goes permanently insane. These insanities are mostly character-killers so after 6 point, you have to make a new one. There are also no temporary insanities to simulate the effect of seeing something horrendous.
  • Chaos magic is grossly unbalanced. Most of the spells cause mutation in the victim, which means your average chaos-fighting character will end up looking like the toxic avenger in no time. This has been the no.1 character killer in our games, as a mutated character will be swiftly killed by the law, if not by his own party members.
  • The economics are completely and utterly broken. If you follow the rules, it would take a wealthy merchant 10 years to save enough money to buy a single horse. While on the other hand, you can make enough money to buy 10 horses by buying and selling wool.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Thanks Kafty, I'll make a mental note of these(especially the mutation overkill) and inform the gm. He always takes rule 0 into account,

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

WIll you be playing 2nd edition or the old version? The older version comes with its own set of bugs. We play 2nd ed. because it makes more sense and does away with nonsense like the alignment system.

*fondly remembers that time on the riverboat when my Judicial Champion tore a whole pack of rabid zealots to pieces with her bare hands, so much gore* :o

p.s

critical hit tables rule

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

We are playing a second ed. which my friend got as a souvenir when his relatives went to England.

I absolutely love all the side effects, mutations(as an idea), insanities(Firebug!) and, yes, the criticals. What other game has a table that aptly tells you that your spine has just been pulverised or that your head just asploded in a frothy and bloody mucus cloud thanks to a critical hit by a Hochland longrifle? :thumbsup:

Really, this will be refreshing.

kirottu said:

WFRP was how I started. A great game. See if you can find Shadows Over Bogenhafen

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Ive played it lots and lots, both the old edition and the second edition. Its a great setting and the ruleset is above average(combat is especially fun and gory). The bad things are:
  • The magic system is broken. Since you only need to roll dice to suceed in casting a spell, you can cast them an infinite number of times. There is usually no save roll guaranteeing mages to do major damage every turn. The spells are also poorly balanced and there are too few of them to choose from, you end up with just a single attack spell which you spam again and again.
  • Unlike Call of Cthulhu, you only have 6 insanity points before your character goes permanently insane. These insanities are mostly character-killers so after 6 point, you have to make a new one. There are also no temporary insanities to simulate the effect of seeing something horrendous.
  • Chaos magic is grossly unbalanced. Most of the spells cause mutation in the victim, which means your average chaos-fighting character will end up looking like the toxic avenger in no time. This has been the no.1 character killer in our games, as a mutated character will be swiftly killed by the law, if not by his own party members.
  • The economics are completely and utterly broken. If you follow the rules, it would take a wealthy merchant 10 years to save enough money to buy a single horse. While on the other hand, you can make enough money to buy 10 horses by buying and selling wool.

are u talking about mage?

Ive only played Vampire, I never liked any of the spinoff games.

WFRP was how I started. A great game. See if you can find Shadows Over Bogenhafen

I think The Enemy Within campaign and especially SoB are overrated. They might have been amazing compared to what was available for D&D back in the early 80's but they're very average and strangely written adventures.

...its so obvious who the villain in SoB is, youll spend about 15min in B

We are actually doing our own adventure. Well, the gm is doing it and I'm telling him what not to do without actually being of any help.

B

kirottu said:

• 3 weeks later...

If you want incidental NPCs I can 'assist' by hawing on endlessly about some of ours...

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

• 1 month later...
I always loved to read about WFRPG player stories, does anyone know of some good places/forums to find some?

I don't know if you meant in this way, but you can get the WHFRP novels from Games Workshop stores, and places like Amazon. My favourites would have to be just anything by Dan Abnett, and the Konrad series. Another good book would be the compilation Ignorant Armies

-Elwood Blues

I walked into one of their stores once because I like the look of the models and felt like getting a closer look and the guy working the counter tried to get me into it. He let me play a round, I guess...but the game is not compelling at all.

I walked into one of their stores once because I like the look of the models and felt like getting a closer look and the guy working the counter tried to get me into it. He let me play a round, I guess...but the game is not compelling at all.

Some of the guys in the stores are good. But equally they can be total fools. I recall letting one guy who was clearly a wannabe something believe I was a total novice and lump me with some inferior units in a skirmish with Epic. A handful of leman Russ and infantry versus a baneblade and shadowsword. As it happened I hadn't played a game since the old Adeptus Titanicus but frankly if you understand the concept of concentration of force, and have a rough idea of basic tactics you could have beat him. He got very embarassed and accused me of cheating!

Read the books if you want a feel for it.

-Elwood Blues

I always loved to read about WFRPG player stories, does anyone know of some good places/forums to find some?

I don't know if you meant in this way, but you can get the WHFRP novels from Games Workshop stores, and places like Amazon. My favourites would have to be just anything by Dan Abnett, and the Konrad series. Another good book would be the compilation Ignorant Armies

I meant that I always enjoyed reading about other peoples playing sessions since they usually end up with some hilarious(for the reader)/terrible(for the player) thing happening to them all the time. I checked out the WFRPG forum, hoping to find some fun stories from the posters in those forums but I couldn't find anything of interest.

I meant that I always enjoyed reading about other peoples playing sessions since they usually end up with some hilarious(for the reader)/terrible(for the player) thing happening to them all the time. I checked out the WFRPG forum, hoping to find some fun stories from the posters in those forums but I couldn't find anything of interest.

Righto. I'll be chatting to some of my old comrades and see what I can recall.

-Elwood Blues