Constitutional meritocracy?

Azarkon

in the signal processing world, this is referred to as "optimal." however, optimal _always_ has to be referred to some measure. e.g. optimal with respect to mean-square error. the terms optimal and/or best are meaningless unless applied to a specific measure. furthermore, optimal or best with respect to one measure typically means sub-optimal with respect to another. hence, some subjective criteria always exist.

taks

My point, but far better made.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

this is about the most civil discussion i've ever seen w.r.t. what would otherwise be a rather flame-ridden debate.

thanks walsh, btw. i think it is apparent we all seem to understand the issues with such a concept. the problem boils down to an inability for mankind to behave objectively, particularly when it comes to evaluating elected officials. everyone has their own idea what constitutes a measure of quality. in the end, there is no "ideal" system that is workable.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

Well I agree there, taks, but I would also suggest that there are convergences in what people think of as optimal. A degree of predictability, the rule of common law, etc. Fostering these things will win more approval and 'optimality' than fostering other things. But I also think this is what democracy is about.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

An assumption we seem to be taking for granted is the voting public is educated and rational enough to decide what issues are important. Frequently they're not and are susceptible to low-brow tactics and favour short sighted decisions.

Ideally there'd be a free, informed and responsible press that would certainly help, and a good education system in place but that's not the case for developed countries, much less developing ones.

Spreading beauty with my katana.

nobody in here is taking that for granted... in fact, it has been pointed out that the "optimal" solution is an informed, and educated, populace. not likely to happen for a few millenia IMO.

yeah, walsh, there are high-level generalities that many (or most) tend to agree with, but it's the details of the measure of quality system that are difficult to be objective on.

taks

I don't know that education would necessarily provoke convergence, tho. I mean we're all pretty well educated, but we hardly ever agree.

-Elwood Blues

no, i think you're right. education's benefit would be the removal of the image issue from politics. at least, it would lessen it. the masses would (eventually) make better decisions.

taks