So my sound card crapped out on me...

Arkan

I've got onboard sound, but I installed a sound card (better quality) over top of it. However, the one I installed seems to have given up the ghost. How to I enable the other one? Is it just a simple matter of uninstalling the drivers, removing the card, and letting windows use its drivers for the onboard card? What els would I need to do?

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

You need to enable onboard sound in the BIOS.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

He had to disable it for the regular sound card to work.

Heja Sverige!!

Thanks guys. I'll give it a try after class.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

"I installed a sound card (better quality) over top of it"

Has he? I can't get it from the post.

Anyway, I have 2 soundcards installed right now and I can switch between the two without rebooting.

Really? Goes to show what I know. :confused:

Heja Sverige!!

Aren't you posting from your shiny new PDA by chance?

Hehe, that's another thing all together. My university's VPN client doesn't support PDA functionality, so I'm trying my best to find a workaround, but so far I haven't been able to find anything. :yucky: So I need to get my own wireless router back from my mother at least.

Worked...good to go.

You should get a Sound Blaster Xi Fi Gamer. It is muy bien! :D

Edited by Sand

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

Anyway, I have 2 soundcards installed right now and I can switch between the two without rebooting.

Ah, but do you have an onboard sound chip, too? Motherboard default and all that ...

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Aren't you posting from your shiny new PDA by chance?

Just thought I would reply to thid with an affirmative. :no:

Ah, but do you have an onboard sound chip, too? Motherboard default and all that ...

One of them is on-board, yes.

interestingly, the most stable piece of equipment in any of my boxes, to date, has been my sound card. i recently switched from an old SB-Live! Value, to an audigy. i had the previous sound card for, well, since they first came out.

in order of stability (worst to best), here's been my list:

1) motherboard - particularly, the IDE controllers seem to crap out. my wife's mobo is also having PCI issues, manifesting on the AGP slot. her mobo is also having clock-locking issues, and it's under 4 years old. i just ordered a new mobo for my son's vaio, too, as it refused to recognize anything on the IDE channels.

2) hard drives - the early 7200s were awful, and prior to that i could never get a drive to last more than a few years. i'm hoping the newer SATAs perform better. i've bought as many HDDs as mobos over the years. HDDs are typically cheaper, so i rate them a bit better (bang for the buck i guess).

3) video cards - 3 years tops on every card i've ever owned.

4) power supplies - i've had a few die for no reason.

5) CPUs - usually when one of my CPUs dies, it is my fault (powering up w/out a heat-sink results in a very high-pitched squeal, and insta-death, btw).

6) miscellaneous

7) speakers - my original creative speakers died after 6 or 7 years. moved on to logitech.

:geek: sound card - i've owned two now, in the last 11 years that i can remember.

taks

comrade taks... just because.