How do I transfer my email to a different computer

tarna

I'm running a POS P3 for the internet. Motherboard is dying and I am using Outlook Express for my email ( no wise-cracks guys! :p ). I have around 2000 various emails with documents, names, addresses and whatnot that I want to save to put back on my new computer. 2000 emails is a bit much to save by hand and I have found the DBX file ( encrypted ) that holds my email. Someone told me that I should download another email program and transfer it to that and then save the folder and reload it to the same software when I get my system finished.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Ruminations...

When a man has no Future, the Present passes too quickly to be assimilated and only the static Past has value.

I've already tried that by setting up the same email on a 'static' computer and placing the 54 Mb file in the 'Inbox' of that account. It did not recognise it's presence.

I did 'not' however, import it but don't know that it would make a difference because of the format being used.

I might add that this is the last thing preventing me from ripping the final original component out of my Presario and making it into a somewhat proper system.

I really want to get this accomplished soon.

Ruminations...

When a man has no Future, the Present passes too quickly to be assimilated and only the static Past has value.

C:\Documents and Settings\"Account Username"\"Local Definitions"\Application Data\Identities\"bunch of numbers and letters"\Microsoft\Outlook Express\

In XP Pro, you should put the .dbx files in the above folder. The names between inverted commas shouldn't be taken literally, of course.

Edit: If you do a search for all *.dbx files, you should find the right folder.

Edited by Pidesco

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

C:\Documents and Settings\"Account Username"\"Local Definitions"\Application Data\Identities\"bunch of numbers and letters"\Microsoft\Outlook Express\

I could have used that address earlier! :angry:

I did locate it but it took a bit of time.

Edit: If you do a search for all *.dbx files, you should find the right folder.

Outlook's DBX file didn't show up in a search ( probably for security reasons ), that's why I had to hunt for it manually.

I placed it in the same location on the other computer and it wasn't acknowledged as even being present.

Meta's first link looks like it might have promise. The second doesn't.

Ruminations...

I don't know how much of a dfifference there is between Outlook and Outlook Express, but the last couple of times I've moved my data, I just copied the contents of \Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook and \Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook to a pair of zip files and restored on another computer. I can't remember if I did anything alse...

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Wait, if you place the files in the folder I gave you the address for, Outlook still acts as if there's nothing there? That's pretty weird...

Is the original Outlook's version different from Outlook's version on the new computer?

Heja Sverige!!

Wait, if you place the files in the folder I gave you the address for, Outlook still acts as if there's nothing there? That's pretty weird...

The number string generated by Outlook Express for the personal files name is different.

Is the original Outlook's version different from Outlook's version on the new computer?

:"> I used the same WinXP disk.

Ruminations...

It's just that I did a similar thing for my dad when I had to format his computer's hard drive, and it worked like a charm.

I saved the .dbx files to a safe place, I formatted the drive, reinstalled Windows, copied the .dbx files back and it worked flawlessly. Outlook just recognized the files as if they had always been there.

Heja Sverige!!

It's just that I did a similar thing for my dad when I had to format his computer's hard drive, and it worked like a charm.

I saved the .dbx files to a safe place, I formatted the drive, reinstalled Windows, copied the .dbx files back and it worked flawlessly. Outlook just recognized the files as if they had always been there.

That's what I would expect, but I am not certified for Outlook, so I just did some googling.

It really shouldn't be difficult; the biggest issue with Outlook is file corruptions destroy the mail archive.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Same motherboard and processor though.  :shifty:

That shouldn't make any difference.

This is really confusing me. :shifty: Are you sure you're copying the files into the right folder?

Heja Sverige!!