Jagged Alliance 3 News

Llyranor

Removing the entire sector-based aspect of Jag 2 is like Bethesda announcing that Fallout 3 is going to be released with no dialogue of any sort.  Such a fundamental aspect of the game is being removed that it begs the question, why bother?

The answer of course, is because it's a lot easier and cheaper to do a bunch of pre-set missions + random encounters than create the dynamic campaign aspects that made Jag 2 so cool.

Was it really the dynamic campaign that made the game so cool?

It wasn't the only thing, but it was a big part of what made the game so much more interesting than other squad tactics games.

Canned missions just aren't very interesting, especially if they are of the pass/fail/replay-until-success-or-death variety. Randomly generated missions a la XCOM are fine, even though you don't get to originate the mission yourself. XCOm missions you could take or pass, succeed, succeed partly, or miserably fail. And yet the game continued. Many times in the early mid game I would lose my Skyranger and its entire complement of soldiers, yet manage to recover and continue the game for a good long while. Much more fun. And more interesting.

And in Jag 2 the whole aspect of finance your campaign, take the ground, hold the ground added a great strategic level to the affair.

If Jag 3 was going to get new features to offset the loss of prior features, there woudl be room for hope. But that list appears to indicate that features are only being lost not added.

rather dismal, really.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

The only ones I remember beeing able to overrun a well trained milita were the Crepax (Sp?) critters that would ocme out of the mines at night. And that only until I kill the bug queen. Otherwise, a militia with both veteran and elite troops in it will be able to hold off pretty much anything the queen throws at them. Goes for SAM sites as well.

Depends what level you play on. In the expert campaign, you can very defintely lose the central SAM, sectors in Grumm and sectors in Alma to the queens counter attacks. Sometimes, you could lose a few sectors in Cambria early. The northernmost towns were rarely seriosuly threatened.

In the 1.13 mod, shortly after you take Drassen, you are counterattacked in the Drassen mine sector by 60 Elites attacking simulatneously from all three adjacent sectors. You pretty much always lose that one.

The 1.13 mod is truly awesome. :)

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I seem to remember having downloaded a mod by that (or a similar) name not that long ago. Perhaps I should give it a try :aiee:

Edit: It sounds a bit like playing Icewind Dale in Heart of Fury mode.

Edited by Gorth

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

JA2 experts, tell me

are there any possible issues with patching Steam version of JA2? I mean should I go for it or I would be better off getting a CD somewhere?

I believe that the STEAM version is the standard Jag 2 Gold revision. The 1.12 patch for the gold version should work fine of that's the case. The 1.07 patch which was the final version patch for the original Jag 2 is still around if you need it.

edit: It may be a prepatched version though. So just check the revision before you patch it. The final standard revision of Jag 2 gold is 1.12. If that's what it already is, you shouldn't need to patch it.

I seem to remember having downloaded a mod by that (or a similar) name not that long ago. Perhaps I should give it a try :)

Edit: It sounds a bit like playing Icewind Dale in Heart of Fury mode.

Here is the link in case you want it: http://ja2v113.schtuff.com/

A new full update is due out in January some time.

This is the greatest mod I've ever played for any game. Most of the new options and old systems are now user configurable configurable through the new ini file locateed in the 1.13 directory after install. I suggest you look through them, Although you can just take the defaukts and go if you want.

Edited by CrashGirl