Does Obsidian intend to make an RPG like FO?

roshan

But to expand on my example; it doesnt have to be chapters, it can be anything: in Oblivion it is pieces needed to do the ritual, in KoTOR it is planets. In the Fallout games its locations. And you dont necessarily have to play everything in one instance to progress to the next.

In the original Fallout, you have to get the water chip and go to deal with the Master. Actually, you don't even have to do the second part if you want to join the Master's army. Considering the enormous amount of content you can skip or do in any order, it's a very big exception to what you suggested. Since it's the topic of the thread, I think it's worth noting.

Yup, my argument doesnt hold water there.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

But to expand on my example; it doesnt have to be chapters, it can be anything: in Oblivion it is pieces needed to do the ritual, in KoTOR it is planets. In the Fallout games its locations. And you dont necessarily have to play everything in one instance to progress to the next.

In the original Fallout, you have to get the water chip and go to deal with the Master. Actually, you don't even have to do the second part if you want to join the Master's army. Considering the enormous amount of content you can skip or do in any order, it's a very big exception to what you suggested. Since it's the topic of the thread, I think it's worth noting.

Yup, my argument doesnt hold water there.

LOLZ puns.

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.

Exactly how does rideable mounts and upgradeable vehicles help achieve a sense of non-linearity?

well, it's all about choices....choices create the illusion of a vast, open world.

I find it odd that we are still seeing cRPGs in which you can build a castle but can't even buy a horse or carriage or even a pack mule.

I agree that those things are somewhat off-topic to whether a story is non-linear or not. But that is my point: create enough choices along the yellow brick road and people can help suspend belief that it is a yellow brick road.