Updating Nvidia drivers (6800)

Arkan

Went to Nvidia's site, and they don't have the 6 series cards listed...or at least I don't see them. Help. :)

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

Looks like time to upgrade your card j/k :unsure:

Just pick Geforce and TNT2. The 8800 series cards require a seperate driver from the rest, which is why they are listed seperatly.

:)

My hero.

You're right about the upgrade, though. Now that the 8 series is out, the 7s should be much cheaper.

Edited by Arkan

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

• 2 weeks later...
Here's the error...

Sorry, it sounds like Nvidia doesn't support the GO line of 6800 laptop cards:

RE: geforce 6800go pci-express drivers

tried to install updated drivers for my card but got the following messgae nVidia setup program could not locate any drivers that are compatible with your current hardware.

Yes. Official NVIDIA ForceWare drivers do not support the 6800 GO mobile GPU. It sucks, I know. Luckily, starting with their GeForce 7800 GO series, they've started to support mobile GPU's officially. I'm hoping they expand to their other GPUs as well, but I wouldn't hold my breath for it.

So what can you do? You have three choices:

1) Stick with what you have

2) Go to your laptop manufacturer's website and see if they got an update of their own.

3) Visit www.LaptopVideo2Go.com and download their modified ForceWare drivers. They usually modify the latest sets released by NVIDIA and other manufacturers who have released ForceWares for their laptops.

These modifications will allow the drivers to recognize your mobile GPU when installing them. If you encounter any problems with the modified drivers, revert to the official ones supported by your laptop manufacturer. Most of the time, the problems which arise involve DVD and Video playback issues.

Hope that helps.

Other 6800 updates for XP available here: http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_93.71.html

Also worth considering: Driver Cleaner Pro. http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Uninsta...fessional.shtml