Dialogues During Battles

gsklee

I cannot tell for sure when exactly did this start to appear, but I guess I first encountered it in the original KotOR, that when you are battling some important characters, you are not only going to converse with them before and after the battles, but also during the battles. This is an interesting design, and from the roleplaying point of view, in-between the heats of battles the surge of mentality fluctuations can hit both sides and should affect their responses if not dramatically.

Hence I found it pretty weird that dialogues during battles were taken with a forceful stop to the fight, and then both parties engaged into conversations that have no differences in accents, feelings, tones, etc. It practically segmented the battle into many small sections and diminished the flow and fluency and pace of the supposedly climax of the story. I haven't play NWN2 yet, but from some reviews it seems that this time we can even have a talking PC - which should truely making the dialogues into a real conversation.

So I am wondering, if there is any reason that is preventing the game engine to handle dialogues opting during the battles, without a forceful stop? Namely, fighting and choosing conversation branches at the same time? I cannot think of a believable reason so far, and it certainly improves the immersion experience.

I cannot tell for sure when exactly did this start to appear, but I guess I first encountered it in the original KotOR, that when you are battling some important characters, you are not only going to converse with them before and after the battles, but also during the battles. This is an interesting design, and from the roleplaying point of view, in-between the heats of battles the surge of mentality fluctuations can hit both sides and should affect their responses if not dramatically.

Hence I found it pretty weird that dialogues during battles were taken with a forceful stop to the fight, and then both parties engaged into conversations that have no differences in accents, feelings, tones, etc. It practically segmented the battle into many small sections and diminished the flow and fluency and pace of the supposedly climax of the story. I haven't play NWN2 yet, but from some reviews it seems that this time we can even have a talking PC - which should truely making the dialogues into a real conversation.

So I am wondering, if there is any reason that is preventing the game engine to handle dialogues opting during the battles, without a forceful stop? Namely, fighting and choosing conversation branches at the same time? I cannot think of a believable reason so far, and it certainly improves the immersion experience.

Using KotOR as an example, I think the conversations in battle should be accompanied by some scripted animations. Like say you take a couple swings, he parries and you speak while you're forcing his lightsaber down, he responds while taking a couple swings back while you parry, and so forth, rather than an all out stop in the battle while a conversation takes place. The scripted battle could also reflect the reactions to the characters lines. Such as if a line is shocking, then it could distract the opponent and have him lose ground and struggle to regain his footing.

Would make for some more interesting conversations.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

That would be extremely cheesy. It reminds me of this, which is unacceptable in video games that are meant to be taken without melodrama. If the melodrama is intentional, as I could imagine a game like Fallout might do, then that is different. But you guys are seriously discussing the concept of having thoughtful storyline conversations while repeatedly swinging fifty-pound swords, casting spells, and lugging around at least fifty pounds of armour?

On second thought, who knows? It could work. I just don't see it being a sensible action for a character to take when they could use their breaths to fight.

Edited by Blank

They should do it Dragon Ball Z style.

*wind blows past them*

*camera scrolls up from their feet to head, slowly*

*zoom in on head*

"You should not have come to this place."

*Villain casts magic missile.*

*wind blows past them*

*camera scrolls up from their feet to head, slowly*

*zoom in on head*

"Bite me."

That would be extremely cheesy. It reminds me of this, which is unacceptable in video games that are meant to be taken without melodrama. If the melodrama is intentional, as I could imagine a game like Fallout might do, then that is different. But you guys are seriously discussing the concept of having thoughtful storyline conversations while repeatedly swinging fifty-pound swords, casting spells, and lugging around at least fifty pounds of armour?

On second thought, who knows? It could work. I just don't see it being a sensible action for a character to take when they could use their breaths to fight.

I was thinking like in KotOR 1, when you stop in the middle of your fight with Malak to have a nice little chat. Or in KotOR 2 when you do so like 3 or 4 times with whats his name guy who's all falling apart. You know, parts where it would make sense to talk while fighting.

Edited by Oerwinde
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg