In America, we are electing our Congressmen

Pop

For you, you mean.  That does not make it so, so don't act like it.  Even still, that does not make its life worthless, though you seem to think such.  Tell you what, I have an idea.  Since that's what you think, let's just go ahead and start killing off all lower forms of animal life, like invertebrates.  After all, they don't have a life, do they?  While we're at it, let's not worry anymore about cutting down trees.  After all, they aren't thinking beings like you and I.  Right?  That makes it okay.

It is ok to kill trees and animals when necassary. my house is made of wood and I'm no vegetarian. It is wrong to do these things recklessly or wantonly because even plant and animal life have value. But if Sand asserts that life begins at cognition (which in a human higher brain functions begin to kick in arounf 9-14 months) Then he is equating human infants with animals. Somehow Sand i don't think you meant that.

BTW Sand, check out my post 237. i answered some points you made last night.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

For me, Human life begins when the baby is mature/developed enough in its cognitive process to realize that it exists and reacts to objects and stimuli with more thought than simple basic instinct of an animal.

For you, you mean. That does not make it so, so don't act like it. Even still, that does not make its life worthless, though you seem to think such. Tell you what, I have an idea. Since that's what you think, let's just go ahead and start killing off all lower forms of animal life, like invertebrates. After all, they don't have a life, do they? While we're at it, let's not worry anymore about cutting down trees. After all, they aren't thinking beings like you and I. Right? That makes it okay.

That is why I started with "For me" in my post. :aiee:

Also I don't think its life is worthless but they shouldn't be placed on a pedestal like some religious types do. I just don't see a problem with embryonic stem cell research and I don't see it as "killing" babies. Trees aren't self aware. Don't go to the extremes, Dark Moth, it makes you look silly. :-

:thumbsup:

Okay then. For the record, I do not place them on a "pedestal" as you seem to be implying, but I still view them as living beings. As such, I see abortion as nothing less than killing babies. That's why I brought up the example of killing off invertebrates, because they may not have a conscious, either. But people still have gripes about killing them. The only time I actually do support abortion is when the mother's life is in danger, rape victims, or when it's known beyond a doubt that the mother is unable to support the child, and state aid is out of the question.