Jagged Alliance 2 v1.13 mod

~Di

I tried a search and didn't come up with results, so forgive me if this has been discussed here. I've read what I can on this JA2 mod, and it sounds wonderful. However, it'll take me all night to download, and there are so many versions out that I'm quite confused as to which one(s) to get. So if anyone out there has given this mod a whirl, I'd love to hear your thoughts about it!

Yes, it's incredibly awesome. It's like an entirely new game. The biggest thing for me was the resolution upgrade, as it really felt like a graphically improved game. I got about 30 hours in before I encountered some pretty serious bugs, but honestly it was worth it despite that. JA2 has long been one of my favorite games, and any mod that gives me another solid 30 hours of gameplay is a good one in my eyes.

Best mod ever, di. New update just released a few days ago.

Here's your link: http://ja2v113.schtuff.com/

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Thank you, CrashGirl... what I need is the English JA2 v1.13 Release 1.0.0.602... not the Update, right? I think I'll let it download overnight, and see if I can get it installed without frying my motherboard, lol.

I appreciate the feedback from both you and Hurlshot. Cross your fingers that I can get it to work!

Thank you, CrashGirl... what I need is the English JA2 v1.13 Release 1.0.0.602... not the Update, right?  I think I'll let it download overnight, and see if I can get it installed without frying my motherboard, lol.

I appreciate the feedback from both you and Hurlshot.  Cross your fingers that I can get it to work!

Yup. Get the Release version, unzip, then run the self-extracting exe and point it to your Jag 2 install.

If you have any previous mods installed, you should probably do a fresh install of Jag 2 just to be safe.

WHen the mod installs it creates an Jag 2 options ini file in the Jag 2 directory. Then it creates a a data 1.13 sub folder. By changing the game data path in the options ini file you can either play the game using the original data (by pointing to the data folder) or the 1.13 mod (by pointing to the 1.13 data folder).

The 1.13 mod also has a massive ini file in the data 1.13 folder that allows you to change many many new game options. You don't NEED to change any of them if you don't want to, however you may want to scroll through the ini file and take a peek at what you can change.

If you have questions about any of the options, feel free to ask.

I would recommend playing on Expert difficulty because that opens up some of the more advanced AI routines that are not present in easy and normal difficulty.

Be aware that the mod makes a lot of changes to gameplay and some of them, such as the call reinforcements and patrolling militia will take some getting used to. In many ways, it is like playing a new game.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Ok, got it up and running. Made a lot of changes in the uni file, based on what I'd read in Bear Pit. Am still checking out controls, and for some odd reason I can't find the command to select all mercs of a squad. I know selecting all mercs regardless of squad is still = ... and I thought simply hitting Shift+(squad number, 1-0) would activate all mercs of the squad selected on the tactical screen. Hmm. It's been a while since I've played a JA game, I guess... if anyone can set me right on what I've forgotten, I'd appreciate it. :lol:

IIRC pressing 1 selects squad one; pressing 2 selects squad 2, etc.

Thanks, guys... my old addled brain is probably mis-remembering. Brining up the portraits of squads using numbers is no problem, and I usually use the drag-grid too... but I thought that when the squad was spread out of interspersed with another squad there was a quickie command that put all of them on the move at once... kind of like the "=" command, only for each squad instead of for all mercs on the map.

Anyway, reading the horrors (lol!) of this mod scared me so bad I started out on novice. Took Drassen and the first SAM in one day, and my militia defended its only attack without losing a soul. So I guess I panicked I'd better up the ante and start over on a higher skill level! I love all the new weapons. Can't wait to figure out what they all do... and what ammo they take. I feel like such a JA noob... hehehe.

Thanks again for the help, guys!

Thanks, guys... my old addled brain is probably mis-remembering.  Brining up the portraits of squads using numbers is no problem, and I usually use the drag-grid too... but I thought that when the squad was spread out of interspersed with another squad there was a quickie command that put all of them on the move at once... kind of like the "=" command, only for each squad instead of for all mercs on the map. 

Anyway, reading the horrors (lol!) of this mod scared me so bad I started out on novice.  Took Drassen and the first SAM in one day, and my militia defended its only attack without losing a soul.  So I guess I panicked I'd better up the ante and start over on a higher skill level!  I love all the new weapons.  Can't wait to figure out what they all do... and what ammo they take.  I feel like such a JA noob... hehehe.

Thanks again for the help, guys!

Novice, Di? Novice? You of all people? I should think not. Expert, all the way, di!

Anyway, if you want to select a squad and have them move when you have multiple squads intermixed:

Press number(1,2 etc) key to go to that squad

Left click and hold on the destination tile, then right click.

Er, I think that works. Let me check.

edit: yep that works. Not something I usually do though! :cool:

Edited by CrashGirl

Whoa! Thanks, Crashgirl. I'll try that trick! Have restarted on Expert; still not having much trouble, but it's obviously more challenging. Still confused about the various types of armor and weapons... for example, why doesn't my FN F2000 with the built-in 40mm grenade launcher take my 40mm grenades? (Yes, I money cheated so I could test out the fancy new stuff... I know, I know... I suck. :devil: )

Anyway, I'm having great fun. Thanks for the help!

Whoa!  Thanks, Crashgirl.  I'll try that trick!  Have restarted on Expert; still not having much trouble, but it's obviously more challenging.  Still confused about the various types of armor and weapons... for example, why doesn't my FN F2000 with the built-in 40mm grenade launcher take my 40mm grenades?  (Yes, I money cheated so I could test out the fancy new stuff... I know, I know... I suck. :)  )

Anyway, I'm having great fun.  Thanks for the help!

I start myself with $950,000 on expert. :">

• 3 months later...

For anyone interested: New update to the 1.13 mod released just a few days ago:

http://ja2v113.schtuff.com/

Haven't tried it yet, but I will soon!

Downloading... just in time for my old games to arrive (finally cleared customs, a sad byproduct of jumping country every now and then).

It still might be a week or two before I find my Ja2 box among all the other stuff though ;)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

You've successfully piqued my interest. Which version of JA2 is needed for the mod? Will it work with Gold? Are patches necessary, or are they integrated into the mod?

There are no doors in Jefferson that are "special game locked" doors. There are no characters in that game that you can kill that will result in the game ending prematurely.

You've successfully piqued my interest. Which version of JA2 is needed for the mod? Will it work with Gold? Are patches necessary, or are they integrated into the mod?

The recommended version to use if Jag 2 Gold patched to 1.12, which was the final patch for the game. This is called the 1.13 mod becaause it is kinda the 1.12 addition. However, it should work fine with the original Jag 2 as well. I haven't tried it with that, but the mod replaces so much of the game, that it really doesn't matter which version you use.

For anyone who has played and loved Jag 2, this mod is ripping awesome. It is a whole new game with a ton of configurable options.

I've never tried the Steam version. Is that different from the Gold pack verison that was published by Strategy First? WHy is it so buggy?

I've never tried the Steam version. Is that different from the Gold pack verison that was published by Strategy First? WHy is it so buggy?

I have no idea, but it is.

1. For starters, Finance screen is completely borked, when you open it, all the numbers there are like $8,935,262,103 and -$923,436,244, and when you exit the screen, your balance is reset to the amount as at the start of the game.
  2. A more serious bug is that all dropped loot disappears if you save in the middle of the combat, and then reload.
  3. On the other hand, items that are not dropped from the enemies (i.e. found in buildings) respawn if you reload.
  4. Sometimes, the screen will lock up with a "timer" icon during enemy turn and you have to restart the game.
  5. Your settings in Options are reset if the game is restarted.

These are what I've got so far.

I have no idea, but it is.

1. For starters, Finance screen is completely borked, when you open it, all the numbers there are like $8,935,262,103 and -$923,436,244, and when you exit the screen, your balance is reset to the amount as at the start of the game.
  2. A more serious bug is that all dropped loot disappears if you save in the middle of the combat, and then reload.
  3. On the other hand, items that are not dropped from the enemies (i.e. found in buildings) respawn if you reload.
  4. Sometimes, the screen will lock up with a "timer" icon during enemy turn and you have to restart the game.
  5. Your settings in Options are reset if the game is restarted.

These are what I've got so far.

whoah. that's really messed up. I've never heard of any of those. Maybe your dl got corrupted or somethign went wrong with the install? Have you tried dling a fresh copy and/or doing a fresh install? Also, what is the version number on the game screen? If you press V you should see it pop up on screen in the lower left hand corner.

Have you tried installing the 1.13 mod? It started out as a tweak and bug fix a couple years ago and has grown as people made various requests for additions. Its possible that it might fix some of the bugs. Of course, it might make things even worse. Although I don't see how it could get much worse than what you are describing.

The version is 1.12

I have read some forums reporting the same bugs.

There is no action taken by Strategy First yet.

And no, I haven't tried patch 1.13 yet. I'll give it a go when I make damn Steam run under Linux properly.

weird. 1.12 is the Gold final patch version. I've been playing that for years and while it does have its fair share of bugs, the only of those that I've sorta seen is the timer one, but that almost always goes away if you wait long enough.

Are you running the game under Linux?

Well, I think it might be worth it to install the 1.13 mod. Its a shame you won't be able to see the game as it was originally intended since the 1.13 mod does add a lot of additonal features and changes how some of the gameplay mechanics work. But I think it does it all for the better. A lot of the features were requests by people who have been playing Jag 2 for a long long time so game balance is kinda out the window since a lot of the changes make the game more difficult while some make it much more easy. But if you take most of the defulat settings, you should have a balance pretty close to the original game. With a whole heck of a lot more stuff!

Like I said, I don't know if the 1.13 will help but maybe its worth a shot.

Have you tried a fresh install of the donwload?

Have you tried a fresh install of the donwload?

I guess it might worth a try, though there is a high chance it won't do anything. I didn't do anything weird, and other people have the same bugs, so it is not corrupted download (the integrity of which Steam should verify anyway).

I guess I'm unofficially entitled to a torrent copy. :dancing: