Xbox360 now supports 1080p in games!

Meshugger

...through a software update, linky

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

At their pre-TGS press briefing in Tokyo today, Microsoft announced that the Xbox 360 will support 1080p content through a software upgrade. The "p" stands for parity.

"Microsoft's 1080p software upgrade will also remove some of the value of their upcoming HD-DVD add-on by upscaling your existing DVD movies to HD resolutions, including 1080p."

Converting a less-detailed signal is AT LEAST going to slow the system down (especially if it is just software). Not exactly conducive to demanding high-definition graphics in the latest games.

Also, the fact that they are quoting "p" as "parity" and not progressive makes my query the factual basis of the review ... sounds more like the "software upgrade" will convert 1080i to 1080p. Otherwise it is just an interpolation heuristic.

1080p is the shorthand name for a category of video modes. The number 1080 represents 1,080 lines of vertical resolution[1], while the letter p stands for progressive scan or non-interlaced. 1080p is considered an HDTV video mode. The term usually assumes a widescreen aspect ratio of 16:9, implying a horizontal (display) resolution of 1920 dots across and a frame resolution of 1920

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

The only titles that will run in native 1080p are all XBLA titles, and DoA4 (currently), since they already run in 1920x1080(i) - The only way to do that is to take a native 1080p image and interlace it since ATI graphics cards are not capable of natively producing an interlaced image.

That was a lot of natives...

All this software update does is have the Xbox no longer interlace the 1080p images from the games that are natively supporting 1920x1080 resolution.

Atleast i spared you all the implied responses such as "God damn, i'm smart", "The Xbox360 rule! You do not!" and "The PS3 is crap, i win!" :blink:

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy