Dead Notebook

DemonKing

Hi All,

My wife's notebook just died today - it won't even boot up or make any noise other the initial startup whir and the screen is dead.

Luckily it has been acting strangely for some time and we saved all her data last weekend...any ideas what the most likely problem is?

It is four years old and pretty much superseeded, but before we buy a new one I'd like to get an opnion as to whether we should throw it on the scrapheap or not.

Cheers

Could be a lot of things. It might be a good idea if you can take it to a repair shop to get it checked out for free/cheap. But at four years old I wouldn't be wanting to spend much on it.

If I had to guess, I'd say it would be a failing powersupply or maybe a faulty connection.

My guess is graphics card or motherboard. The graphics card on my stationary computer died and it behaved exactly like that (including acting strange for some time).

I agree with LostStraw's suggestion, have it checked out by a repair shop. It can probably be repaired, although the question if it's worth what it'll cost.

Who's the manufacturer? In most cases, if the warranty is out (which it will be after 4 years) you can send it in and they'll sell you a new one at a discounted price. It's worked 6/6 times with some customers of mine. Granted some of them did a little more bitching than others when they were on the phone.

Edited by AngryKidJoe

Stand Your Convictions and You Will Walk Alone.

I have had a 2-year old second hand notebook die on me in the same manner, it wouldn't boot up or turn on at all. When I sent it to Sony repair service in Australia (official vendor), they told me it would cost around AU$2000 to replace the motherboard... (what???). Then I tried a garage repair shop, they fixed it for $50, and power supply was found to be faulty.

It has been working for 3 more years so far.

Thanks guys...I'll try and find a repairer and see how it goes tomorrow.

I only hope if they get it running they don't get too confused as it's got a German version of XP installed (my wife's German).

Hi All,

My wife's notebook just died today - it won't even boot up or make any noise other the initial startup whir and the screen is dead.

Luckily it has been acting strangely for some time and we saved all her data last weekend...any ideas what the most likely problem is?

It is four years old and pretty much superseeded, but before we buy a new one I'd like to get an opnion as to whether we should throw it on the scrapheap or not.

I have posted some useful diagnostic procedures, and stuck the list at the top of this very forum.

Reading comprehension is your friend? :thumbsup:

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT