Resumes and Cover Letters

Peter.M.Allen

How would you rate your success in getting a job in gaming?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate your success in getting a job in gaming?

• 1) None; haven't applied
    • 2) Little; rejection letters galore
    • 3) Little with promise; rejected with recomendations to reapply in the future
    • 4) Some; Gotten past submission to atleast a 1st round interview
    • 5) Quite a bit; Next interview round, but JUST got beat out
    • 6) BINGO; Got me a piece of that fat-money-cake

I did take the internship.  It started in January.  It's not directly with a games company, but with two of my professors.  They are working on a program that works with Neverwinter Nights and Bioware called ScriptEase.

It's been a pretty cool internship so far.

Wow, that would be interesting to hear about, when (if) you can say more. :ermm:

I work with geniuses.  It's actually quite intimidating.

Two expert PhDs walk into the room and start brainstorming....I feel smarter in their presence alone :)

It pleases me that people of this stature are in the games industry. :)

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

What do you want to know? My project isn't all hush hush.

My bosses aren't technically in the games industry though. They're still in academia, and one is the Vice Dean of the Faculty of Science, and the other is the Department Chair of Computing Science.

They are both just fascinated with games that they research part of it. Jonathan Schaefer is very influential in the world of artificial intelligence. He made the first ever AI to successfully beat a human world champion in a game (checkers), called Chinook.

Edited by alanschu

It's basically just a tool being created for research (as well as to do research).

Instead of having people use a more complicated C-like programming language to create scripts, you specify parameters and adaptations in patterns to make the scripts.

The pattern catalogue can be adapted and expanded as needed, with minimal knowledge of how to actually code things in NWScript.

Right now we only have official support for more basic encounters, but we're working on getting ambient behaviours as well as improved plot/quest generation as well.

We create a library (which can be editted and expanded) of encounter patterns, and the user instantiates them in the tool.

The user can set parameters, add atoms (such as additional defintions, actions, and conditions) to adapt the instantiated encounter as you see fit.

Most of the time you're just specifying parameters with a point and click interface. The only programming required is when you are creating a new atom type (since you'll need to know the NWScript for the code generation).

When you are done, you hit compile and save, and it compiles and attaches the scripts to the appropriate objects.

:))

My bosses aren't technically in the games industry though.  They're still in academia, and one is the Vice Dean of the Faculty of Science, and the other is the Department Chair of Computing Science.

They are both just fascinated with games that they research part of it.  Jonathan Schaefer is very influential in the world of artificial intelligence.  He made the first ever AI to successfully beat a human world champion in a game (checkers), called Chinook.

Good article about the brains in and leaving the industry ...

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

:))

My bosses aren't technically in the games industry though.  They're still in academia, and one is the Vice Dean of the Faculty of Science, and the other is the Department Chair of Computing Science.

They are both just fascinated with games that they research part of it.  Jonathan Schaefer is very influential in the world of artificial intelligence.  He made the first ever AI to successfully beat a human world champion in a game (checkers), called Chinook.

Good article about the brains in and leaving the industry ...

It was a good article.