Rome: Total Realism

alanschu

If you look down in the bottom right, it's one of the buttons there.  It's the left most one on the bottom row.  I think the hotkey is 'F' off the top of my head.

Thanks alan, I started a campaign as the Julii (going well so far) so I'll probably be pestering you with more questions soon enough.

Just because you're a bit thinner than your even fatter mum it doesn't mean you're in excellent physical shape, if you could fit through the door and view the normal people you'd notice that cheeseburger boy. Squid suck.

If you really want to play three kingdoms, just get KOEI's Romance of the Three Kingdoms. They did start to go into a bit of a tangent with the 7th iteration (starting off as a lieutenant or sommat, not a ruler), but even ten years ago it was an excellent, excellent game. I would argue that its early iterations (2,3,4,5) had as much, if not more, tactical and strategical depth as Total War games.

Availability shouldn't be too much of a problem for ye American/Canadians with internet delivery.

If you really want to play three kingdoms, just get KOEI's Romance of the Three Kingdoms. They did start to go into a bit of a tangent with the 7th iteration (starting off as a lieutenant or sommat, not a ruler), but even ten years ago it was an excellent, excellent game. I would argue that its early iterations (2,3,4,5) had as much, if not more, tactical and strategical depth as Total War games.

Availability shouldn't be too much of a problem for ye American/Canadians with internet delivery.

I know about it... I've played it... but it's not what I'm looking for at ALL. It's a completly different Genre of games from RTW.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Is it wrong that I'm letting brutii work on the macedonians while I use two massive armies (full stack according to unit banners) made up of primairly Mercs to take over Germania and Gaul? (Dacia is next on my hit list... once I declare war I can put about 1/2 their cities under siege at the same time given the troops.)

Yes. Although you will sorely miss the massive trade income you get from Greece.. still, Scipii rarely manage to advance far as a computer, so you should be able to take Spain as well.

In my game I took Ghaul and Spain as the Julii, the other houses advanced towards the balkans and africa with lightning speed so I didnt have a chance. It works quite well to go around with a fleet-based army and capture isolated rebelling cities around the mediterranean though, although theyre impossible to defend once the civil war breaks out.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

well once I grab dacia most of northern europe will be my plaything. While the trade income from Greece is nice I can probably get more from taking the northern port towns in europe.

There was a mod anmed Zhanguo:Total War, which might have been what you were looking for, Calax. The last I looked into it, it was in internal beta and was looking ok.

Not sure where to link you.

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

I've always found Brutii by far the easiest to play .. you get so incredibly wealthy, plus all the wonders of the world are within your reach!

Julii are easier from a strategical point of view though, as their enemies are far less of a challenge..

Fortune favors the bald.

I've always found Brutii by far the easiest to play .. you get so incredibly wealthy, plus all the wonders of the world are within your reach!

Julii are easier from a strategical point of view though, as their enemies are far less of a challenge..

I've always had trouble with the brutii because their expansion is via the blasted Phalanx's.

With the Julii I've been having trouble when I get attacked by a warlord and his heavy cav. I'd be winning easily then he charges my lines and promptly wins because his heavy cav can mop the floor with my hastii and velates... Fortunatly I've officially hit the marius reforms so I get LEGIONS!

Phalanx are pathetic imo .. unless you play them! they are easily flanked and moved down .. by both infantry and especially horses (with whom you can break them quickly if you take'em down from all sides)

Fortune favors the bald.

Phalanx are damn easy. Especially the stupid levy stuff that Greeks field.

If it was Spartans, well that would be an entirely diferent matter.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

but they aren't really that difficult either ..

(an entire army of them supporten by good cavalry and Cretan Archers would probably persuade me otherwise! :ph34r: )

if the AI could control them better and actually use Greek tactics .. then they would be a fearsome enemy!

Fortune favors the bald.

And if they'd fight with spears overhand and not in phalanx.

kirottu said:

problem was that it was street fighting... REALLY hard to flak the bastards.

I finially put three groups of archers next street over to tear them apart while my barbarian mercs took most of the causalties (can't have romans dying can we?)

I still havent met an opponent that could take four archer auxilia and three heavy onagers. Theres barely anything left for the legions to mop up when the barrage is over :)

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

problem was that it was street fighting... REALLY hard to flak the bastards.

I finially put three groups of archers next street over to tear them apart while my barbarian mercs took most of the causalties (can't have romans dying can we?)

you just run close to them with a cavalry unit and they start chasing, then you front attack them with some heavy infantry! and when they have discarded their spears for small swords - you charge home with horses..

Fortune favors the bald.

I still havent met an opponent that could take four archer auxilia and three heavy onagers. Theres barely anything left for the legions to mop up when the barrage is over :thumbsup:

Superior distance weaponry beats run-and-fight-close-quarters! :-)

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

where can I get RTR? the main site is down... one of the others I tried said that the dl was "incomplete or damage".