Good News for GeForce 6-series owners!

angshuman

I have no idea how you managed to turn on 2 extra pipes on your GT. Did you buy the card recently? Maybe you managed to get hold of an uncommon card from somewhere? A 7800 labeled as a 6800 perhaps? Could you give the detailed un-modded specs of your card - Core clock, memory clock, vertex shaders, pixel shaders and ROPs? Did you go from 12 --> 14 or 14 --> 16 or 16 --> 18?

offhand, i'm not sure as i did not purchase it through newegg, i.e. i don't have the order history handy. i'll check.

i agree, however, it is screwy. i turned on a total of 4 units, though i do not recall which.

taks

After searching a bit on the net, I found some info here:

http://www.techpowerup.com/?2051

Apparently there are/were some MSI 6800GT cards which shipped only with 12 pixel pipelines and 5 vertex processors. MSI had offered to replace such cards. Gigabyte also suffered a similar problem but it was fixed by a BIOS update.

Perhaps you have received one of those cards? ???

One more thing, what do the forceware drivers recognize your card as? Is your card recognised as GeForce 6800GT or is it recognised as plain GeForce 6800 or "GeForce 6800 series GPU"?

Apparently there are/were some MSI 6800GT cards which shipped only with 12 pixel pipelines and 5 vertex processors. MSI had offered to replace such cards. Gigabyte also suffered a similar problem but it was fixed by a BIOS update.

Wow, good find. Their response was beautiful: "real cause is still unknown". I can't believe they get away with business practices like this. In fact, I can't understand why well-established companies like MSI, ASUS and Pixelview have to resort to such unscrupulous business practices at all.