Missed oportunity Import Charaters

I know this game has been out for so long now that this probably wont get read much but I've always felt that Obsidian missed a real opportunity by not having the ablity to import your characters from kotor 1 to kotor II. Yes I know that doesn't fit the story but I think the story should have been written w/ Reven as the main in 2 after all luke is the main in episiods IV - VI and anakin is the main II and III (it could even be argued that anakin/vader is the main for all 6 movies) I really enjoy games that let you do that such as neverwinter nights and some of the older d & d computer games and since kotor rules are based so closely on ad & d 3rd ed. Ii really expected to see it in kotor 2 and was really disapointed when it wasnt there. It feels like such a waist when you work really hard to build up the perfect charater and then at the end of the game you never get to use them again it feels much more rewarding when you get to use him/her again in the sequal, like all that work was worth it. Sure they changed the rules a bit b/t 1 and 2 such as the number of skill points earned by each jedi class, the way implants are handled and new powers but they are minor and could ealsy have been handled by a good conversion utillity.

yeah i have always thought about that idea. it would be awesome. i dont know how theyd do it tho. i dont like how u have to constitution for implants sooo

"She was short, she was furry, she was loud, and she was determined to sell him a melon"- random passage from Spector of the Past by Timothy Zahn

Charisma modifier for characters could have also allowed an increase in Force points in K2. Not sure why force point increments are restricted only to Wisdom modifiers. This basically places DS force users with a slight disadvantage. DS PC crystal adds to Charisma.

Deep from within...

Victims live a life of fantasy.

Some see salvation as an act of God, a few look within for it.

朱宣澧

again these are minor problems that could have been handled by a conversion utility for example a character ported from 1 to 2 could still retain his/her implant feats so an imported character with a con of 12 but the level 2 implant feat could still equip implants that would normally require a con of 14 but would not be able to equip higher level implants (requiring 16 or 18) untill they increased their con to 16 or 18. this is only 1 way this problem could have been solved. any one who has ever ported a character from one rule system to another (for example from the original d & d to a d & d 2nd ed.) knows that there will be some problems that require some tinkering but the rules are close enough that a computer could deal with them. an imported character may even come out at a very slight disadvantage to a character of the same level brought up within that rule system but they would still be much more powerful than a level 1 char and would quickly catch up. as in my example it would take several levels to get con up to equip new implants but as the character in question must have spent thier pionts on some other stat such as char, wis, or str it would be unnessisary to do so now. also i would be temped to replay kotor 1 all over again (more than once) for the sole purpose of creating characters w/ the best set up for porting. for eample if the conversion completely ignored the implant feats i would not learn them at all and instead learn a feat that would be more useful in kotor 2

Characters finish Kotor 1 around level 19 or 20, and I find that Kotor 2 becomes boring once you hit those levels. I prefer starting again from level 1, and I wish Obsidian had held the Exile to lower levels for longer - the game is more interesting when every levelup is a major achievement.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

I wouldn't say this was a missed opportunity, as the the protaganist in K1 & K2 are completely different characters.

But I'll admit that it would have been cool if we able to import our K1 saved game file ala Balder's Gate. That would have given rise to the potential cameo apperances of K1 NPCs (depending on quest resolution), certain item spawning, as well as the character importing of HK-47 and Canderous.

manthing2.jpg

And if levels were limited to 20, additional time could have been spent on other game aspects like dialogues, further character development. Some of characters for TSl looked a bit lacking in life and opinions, like say Bao-Dur. He does not seem to have any opinion that is above Exile's thoughts.

Edited by vaxen83

Deep from within...

Victims live a life of fantasy.

Some see salvation as an act of God, a few look within for it.

朱宣澧

yes it could appear a bit strange the chars where not the same as most RPG/adventure games use this approach for various sequels

but having enjoyed a lot TSL and its story i have no complains to do

also we have to consider that there where some problems to continue Revan's story from the point we left it in kotor

kotor2 had very different possible ending both for the protagonist and his comrades, i think it was nearly impossible to do a game that kept track of all that possibilities.

every char use a lot of resources, finite resources, making it impossible to make a real import, also you have to do a lot more work as you have to write lines both for old and new chars, as in the DS ending you where able to kill all your comrades.

even for Revan himslef there are a lot of problems, the choice between like and dark side can't be implemented as Revan alredy chose his path in kotor, and even the enviroment in wich he operate should treat him very differently depending of how kotor finished...

also we have to consider that the devs are not the same, they are not the developers of original chars so there was the risk to not represent the true spirit of all the old chars.

then personally i also like the fact that TSL doesn't make kotor1 obsolete... when you finish the game the old protagonists, Malak for example is not a weak char that every sith assassin you encounter ingame can kill... but he can still be considered a strong (sort off ;)) sith lord.

so in the end, yes maybe was possible to continue that sotry, but there where way more problems that it could appear and also, looking at the sotry we have in TSL, i'm really glad devs chose to narrate their own chapter of star wars.

/await kotor 3 ;)