Athlon64 prices slashed today!!

angshuman

OMG I never expected the price cuts to hit this soon! (w00t) (w00t)

Newegg haven't updated their prices yet :)... I'm guessing they are on PDT, although I don't know how this stuff works... do they have to wait for a fresh batch from AMD before they can start using the new prices? If so, why would anyone be stupid enough to buy any of their currently stocked processors?

Bah humbug! I bought my system too soon. Oh well, I've enjoyed my system the past couple of months, so I guess I can't complain.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Well, I've known for a long time that Conroe was supposed to be something special, so I've been eagerly awaiting that. Turns out it was a smart move. Now I'm only waiting for the motherboard manufacturers to catch up and Conroe to become available..

Yes, I'll be waiting forever..

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

There was one cut that was intended to happen - the size/occurrence is in addition to the one that has been known since May.

The universe is change;
your life is what our thoughts make it
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

:dragon:

Update: Newegg now has the new prices.

Note that among Socket 939 CPUs, only Manchester Core (2x512MB L2) prices have been cut, while Toledo (2x1MB) prices are all over the place. This is consistent with what AMD announced. Looks like Toledo's are being phased out. Monarch was offering a huge discount on Toledo's too, but Newegg is selling them at very high prices (a 4400+ is much more expensive than a 4600+).

It is really too bad they are d/c the Toledo. Though I can understand form a cost/competitve perspective, the performace is definitely better. I'm likely going to go with the new 5000, as the FX-62 just has not come down far enough.

The universe is change;
your life is what our thoughts make it
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

:dragon:

I'm so happy I was being patient.. for once. I am still using socket A (3200+ overclocked until my Zalman fan starts to smoke) so I've been needing to upgrade my entire system for a while now. I decided to not jump on the Socket 939 train, but wait for the AM2 to arrive. When I saw how miniscule the gains were for AMD to go with DDR2, I decided to wait for what Conroe would bring to the market. I won't wait any longer than that though.

This is the system that I'm currently thinking of:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz Socket LGA775, 4MB, BOXED (I'll replace the fan later, not released yet)

ABIT AB9, P965, Socket-775, GbLAN, ATX, 6xSATAII, DDR2, Firewire, PCI-Ex16 (I've got a thing for Abit..)

Corsair TWIN2X 6400PRO DDR2 2048MB CL4, Kit w/two 1GB Dimm's, E.P.P Technology. (Not quite settled on memory yet, but this is close.)

Sapphire Radeon X1900XT 512MB GDDR3, PCI-Express,ViVo,Dual-DVI-I,Full-Retail (My cousins Sapphire X1800 GTO has impressed my pants off)

Expensive upgrade, but totally worth it. It's like buying two-and-a-half Xbox 360's :))

Hey, tell us how that works for you, mreku. I'll be jealous, but I'm always stoked to hear about new advancements anyhow.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz Socket LGA775, 4MB, BOXED (I'll replace the fan later, not released yet)

ABIT AB9, P965, Socket-775, GbLAN, ATX, 6xSATAII, DDR2, Firewire, PCI-Ex16 (I've got a thing for Abit..)

Corsair TWIN2X 6400PRO DDR2 2048MB CL4, Kit w/two 1GB Dimm's, E.P.P Technology. (Not quite settled on memory yet, but this is close.)

Sapphire Radeon X1900XT 512MB GDDR3, PCI-Express,ViVo,Dual-DVI-I,Full-Retail (My cousins Sapphire X1800 GTO has impressed my pants off)

*drool*

*incoherant gibbering*

I need a job. :(

How much do the price of Intel CPU's go down during the following months after they're released? The Core duo sure sounds interesting.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Sapphire is a budget brand. Comparing their cards to BFG/Hightech/Gecube or any other expensive brand is rather futile, as the prices vary a lot between brands. What I like about Sapphire is that they often overclock well, they even send their own overclocking software in the bundle, you get a lot of goodies in their packages (They send you four games to try out and you get to pick one or two of them) and their prices are generally very low. Compared to some of the most expensive brands on the market, there's sometimes a $100+ difference on the same card model, even though the performance difference is no more than 3-5%. To me, that is not worth it.