Isreal invades Lebanon

Kaftan Barlast

Saying that the only way to resolve our problems is to kill each other more efficiently is just nuts.

We are human beings. We are a violent and adversial species. Just look how we entertain ourselves. Just look how we resolve our problems. From the cradle tothe deathbed, it is in our instinct to wage war, to kill one another. For there to be a lasting peace we need to remove human element out of the equation.

Someone played alot of combat-boy in Fallout, huh ;)

Saying that the only way to resolve our problems is to kill each other more efficiently is just nuts.

We are human beings. We are a violent and adversial species. Just look how we entertain ourselves. Just look how we resolve our problems. From the cradle tothe deathbed, it is in our instinct to wage war, to kill one another. For there to be a lasting peace we need to remove human element out of the equation.

May come as a shock, but that's not true.

I'm perfectly capable of not killing or waging war and I consider myself to be a human being, which many would refute, thank you very much.

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

I dunno. How many people in this thread have actually killed someone? We're pretty good at acting against our instincts, it seems to me.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

It is only the facade of civilization and order that places the inhibitions. Remove that and any individual, may he or she comes from the social elite or the dregs of the street, will revert to their true nature.

Also we have diversions that allows us to sate our need to kill. Games like Resident Evil and Doom, competition sports to exert our dominance over another, as well as fear of retribution if we break the laws of our society.

Edited by Judge Hades

Sarcasm does not serve you here, Alan, for there are remarkable individuals who have transcended this instinct but for the majority of our species we have not. For every Ghandi there are a dozen Stalins. For every Mother Teressa there are a hundred Jeffrey Dahmers.

Edited by Judge Hades

Why would we remove our "facade of civilization," Hades? Listen, I'm taking your suggestion seriously, but the very existence of civilization proves that we have it in ourselves to be law abiding. Not only are we capable of living within a civilization, but we thrive in such circumstances.

Sure, we can revert to our baser instincts. We can also rise above them.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Sarcasm does not serve you here, Alan, for there are remarkable individuals who have transcended this instinct but for the majority of our species we have not.  For every Ghandi there are a dozen Stalins.

There are?

I only recall a single Stalin. He was Premier of the Soviet Union in the middle of the 20th Century.

If it was in our instinct to kill each other, there'd be much more murders. People wouldn't buy into the social contract as eagerly as you claim, because it'd be completely against instinct. Unless you've chosen to use your own definition of the word instinct.

Sarcasm does not serve you here, Alan, for there are remarkable individuals who have transcended this instinct but for the majority of our species we have not.  For every Ghandi there are a dozen Stalins.  For every Mother Teressa there are a hundred Jeffrey Dahmers.

Actually there was only one Stalin and one Jeffrey Dahmer. I do agree with your base sentiment though.

DEADSIGS.jpg

RIP

Given the exceptional rarity of psychopaths in society, I think it's safe to say that the ratio of "Mother Teresas" to "Jeffrey Dahmers" is not 1 to 100.

The thing is, it's not even instinctual for a psychopath to kill other human beings.

Edited by alanschu

I dunno.  How many people in this thread have actually killed someone?  We're pretty good at acting against our instincts, it seems to me.

I beat somebody up pretty dang badly once.

Lets leave your mother out of this

My mom's dead. :(

But it wasn't her I beat up, it was a bully. He shoved me and I was tired of being pushed around so I slammed his head into a brick wall repeatedly. He didn't bother me anymore after that.

DEADSIGS.jpg

RIP

Sarcasm does not serve you here, Alan, for there are remarkable individuals who have transcended this instinct but for the majority of our species we have not.  For every Ghandi there are a dozen Stalins.  For every Mother Teressa there are a hundred Jeffrey Dahmers.

Actually there was only one Stalin and one Jeffrey Dahmer. I do agree with your base sentiment though.

No bull****, mother teressa was a BITCH and evil. She was all about "suffering".

Um...no? The majority of the species aren't mindless, blood thirsty killers just because of the law and society. I don't want to kill anyone. Period.

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

- Everlast

A few have Eldar, and I have no doubt that humanity can if they put forth the effort but we need to work towards it and not let petty differences tear us apart. However in the Middle East, Somalia, and similar location people don't care about anything except for the kill and to perpetuate the violence.

Add to the fact that there are people out there that are too weak to fight their own base instincts, like the 5 US soldiers charged with the rape of a woman and the murder of her family, when they are outside their "civilization" they act like the animals we are.

Edited by Judge Hades

Leave your mothers out of this, dammit.

No need to beat up anyone in this thread.

Hell, I think the internet is a great example of society. There are very few restrictions to keep folks from being as nasty as possible and yet most folks are actually prety decent to one another.

At any rate, I'm might have to prune a few of the posts here just to keep up the law and order aspect of this board. That way, we'll never know if we're nice or if it's fear of the "law" that keeps us from being animals.

EDIT: I've ammended my post after some thought.

Obsidian Plays

A few have Eldar, and I have no doubt that humanity can if they put forth the effort but we need to work towards it and not let petty differences tear us apart.  However in the Middle East, Somalia, and similar location people don't care about anything except for the kill and to perpetuate the violence.

Add to the fact that there are people out there that are too weak to fight their own base instincts, like the 5 US soldiers charged with the rape of a woman and the murders of her family, when they are outside their "civilization" they act like the animals we are.

I'd appreciate it if you didn't use the word "we". "They" were animals. Not the rest of mankind.

The exceptions are the ones perpetrating such vile acts, not the other way around.

And yes Kum...I know it's pointless. I'm just bored out of my mind.

- Everlast

I don't care, as long as the devil doesn't advocate genocide or slide into hate speech, we can argue with either him or his council all night.

Obsidian Plays