Do you use miniatures and hex/gridmaps?

Comming from Swede games like Mutant and Drakar&Demoner which dont even hint at using miniatures when you play PnP, Ive never actually played a single game where it was used. On occasion when things got confusing wed use a piece of paper and some never-used D12's to mark up a battle but nothing fancier than that and we didnt measure distances either when we did that

I dont like using miniatures either, then the whole charm of pretend goes away and it feels like youre playing a boardgame.

Ive understood that all you people that come from an D&D background more or less always use miniatures, if you so play GURPS or Call of Cthulhu, is that correct?

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Very rarely. We do at times because some of our players like them. It doesn't bother me eitehr way though miniatures, and hex/gridmaps do help in keeping combat movement/aoo more exact though; but they really slow down the game at times.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

At one time we (me and my friends) did when we played PnP Star Wars. It was more a case of collecting all the "cool" figurines and wanting to show them off. After we got into the games, we stopped using the figurines.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Although I am far too poor (or cheap) to get metal miniatures, I do usually rely on some sort of physical representation of the PCs/NPCs via tokens or cardboard heroes. Having minis is very helpful in running strategic combat and keeping track of combat minutiae.. Not to mention that combat is much more fun with them.

That said, minis are not meant to duplicate the characters down to the underwear they used, but are only meant to approximate general characteristics (i.e. class). Because the minis are more or less undefined, they have never replaced the players'/DM's imagination. On the contrary, they help enhance it by giving the parties involved a vivid picture of the local environment.

Edited by Lancer

image002.gifLancer

We sometimes use miniatures, although I tend to use dice more than anything else unless the battle includes more than 15 or so enemies. The players like to use minis, but I like having dice because it makes it easier for the players to see the field. Twelve siders for 12 small guys or less. Then I use tens, eights, sixes, or fours for different types of monsters. I find it works really well and it's cheaper than trying to have minis that fit all the monster varieties I put in a game.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!